photoperiod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chrisdaphish

hi.. i have a question about photoperiod?why is it that some people keep their lights on for X amnount of hours versus Y amount.. wut are the advantages/disadvantages of keeping on lights for a long period of time?(9+hours) any comments or additional questions would be awesome.

I run my tank for 9 hours a day on the main display and the rest of the hours is run on my sump. I don't know why some people use different photoperiods, but I do believe fish need a certain amount of light per day to process vitamin D. I learned that from somewhere(LOL) I guess the amount of light per day will all depend on the inhabitants of the tank, but usually 8-9 hours is most popular from what I have seen. HTH:)

i only do 7 hours.
I guess people leave it longer because they wanna keep watching their tank??
i'm not sure dood sorry.

You also need to consider type of light vs animals kept. Stronger light like MH only needs to be run a shorter period of time each day depending on the needs of the animals. This can be anywhere from 6-10 hours a day. With less intense reef lighting like VHO/PC/T5HO, you will often end up running them 10-12 hours a day.

The combination of circumstances is often what dictates the photoperiod. You might also find this of interest...

<<The Static on Static Lighting:>>

Cheers
Steve

Back