pickling lime

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

convictblenny

Possible to use this as a calcium additive? I want to mix a gallon batch up and dose it cap at a time, like the premixed bottles of calcium. And would it hurt to mix a large batch and then add proper ph 8.2 to it to set the ph?

Locally I have no clue. Its cheap on line. Two part solutions has a good price on lime.

Don

When I mix mine I use just 2-3 tsps in a gallon of water twice a day and drip it over about 15-20 minutes..

BTW my tank is 120 gallons
Matt

So bottom line, if I mix up a gallon of pickling lime, and put in a cap (5ml) every day or other day, is it roughly the same as putting in calcium from say kent?

I took a 1 gallon bottle of gatorade and drilled out the center of the cap. I placed a 2" piece of 1/4" OD tube in the hole and siliconed it to the cap. I then placed the bottel upside down, in my sump and held it in place with a wooden board so that the top of the 2" tube was right at the water line. As the water evaporated and water level dropped, the kalk would drip in and replace any used water.

Be careful where you pull your kalk from, sludge will collect in the bottom of your container and it is possible that the slurry will settle on your corals and damage them. Learn from my MISTAKES. I don't drip kalk any more, I use the Randy Holmes-Farley three part.

You can order Mrs. Wages on line but I would check with your local supermarket and see if they can special order it for you. Since you are in Washinton state, it is a seasonal item. It would really help if you could give them the UPC code to see if it is something they can order.

So bottom line, if I mix up a gallon of pickling lime, and put in a cap (5ml) every day or other day, is it roughly the same as putting in calcium from say kent?

no, a cap full of Kalk(pickling line in water) wont add much of anything to your tank. if you read the article Don linked it will explain everything.

You can buy Mrs Wages at most all WalMarts, that is where I buy mine in the canning supplies. It is mixed a 2 tsp. per gallon of ro water and dripped slowly or you PH well do a big spike. You well also want your alk and calc in balance before using Kalk as it well raise BOTH. It is not just a calc additive. If you are trying to raise just your calc you need to use calc. chloride. John

www.mrswages.com

A 12-pack case of 16oz jars is $45 plus $10 for UPS ground shipping (to WA at least).

I just ordered a case. Once I receive the order, if anyone locally needs a jar, I will have extras available :)

hth,
rob

For what its worth The Walmart in Lacy has 5 -16 oz. containers of it for 50 cents each on sale until they get in the new season shipment, my mom lives in Yelm and she buys it there all the time.

Back