• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pictures from MACNA 2006

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

barrierreefcf

Sponsor
So I'm short for time but I'll start putting up the pictures from MACNA a few at a time. As I went through them I started to realize we were so caught up in the event we didn't take enough pictures. Here are a couple pics of a Bubble King. What a foaming monster! Also a couple pics of ORA's endless tank. If you look close you can see some of their prized Picasso Percula Clowns. The pics don't show them well but if you ever get to see some in person you will be blown away!

Probably a dumb question but what is macna??

By the way great pictures that skimmer looks awesome. where can you get it from??

Matt

MACNA= Marine Aquarium Conference of North America. Its held annually and aquarium clubs host the event. The Marine Aquarium Society of North America (MASNA) is responsible for choosing which club gets to host it each year. The event had over 1200 people there, at least 15-20 speakers (Sprung, Delbeek, Fenner, Toonen, Joshi, Adelaide, Borneman, Calfo, Pro, Neigut, etc), an entire convention room filled with vendors and all their latest products, and its culminated with the biggest raffle you'll ever experience. For example, Euro-Reef donated 55 RS-80 skimmers. Next year its going to be in Pittsburg. Here's a link to more info about MACNA 2006 Houston www.macnaxviii.com

As for the skimmer: Its a Bubble King (not sure which model). We can order them for you and I'm sure if you searched online there would be some vendors as well. They are quiet, use the super low energy consuming Royal Exclusive Red Dragon Pumps, and they are super efficient. They are also expensive. Starting in the range of $2000-3000. If you want info specific to a skimmer for your system PM me. Remember, they have a large footprint so you will need quite a bit of space in your sump if you are looking into BK skimmers.

Last edited:
More MACNA pics

Some more pics.
Here's a pic of part of the Deltec display. Doug who runs the US distribution was a great guy. His products look amazing. We are considering bringing Deltec into Barrier Reef but we need to know if there is local interest in their products. They manufacture high end skimmers, kalk reactors, calcium reactors, eco-coolers, and media chambers for carbon, phosphate absorbers, etc. Their new nano skimmer, which is a hang-on model, was one of the only skimmers they actually had running. It was amazing. It was running off of a maxi-jet but skimming like no other hang-on I've seen. Its not available on the market yet but when it hits its sure to be a good choice. Wish I had taken a picture.

Central Aquatics had a nice booth as well. They had an Oceanic half round (80gallon I belive) that looked as though it had been set up for way longer than a day. They did a really nice job. They also were introducing their 12 and 24 gallon nano-cubes similar to JBJ and Current's. They also looked very good.

Another tank that was unique was the teardrop aquarium. Obviously, its sold to a very small market being that its only about 6" wide but it was still cool to see. At least Tim thought so:D

Last edited:
More

Here is a picture of the latest aquarium computer driven controller/monitor. Its designed and built in Germany. We got to talk to the designer and this looks like an amazing new piece of aquarium technology. Look for one on our 300 gallon display tank once we get Barrier Reef opened.

There were also many booths displaying the new VorTech pump. Energy efficient, low heat, no AC current, controllable. For about $350 you can move up to 3000 gph. www.ecotechmarine.com Sorry the pics are bad.

Lastly

Finally,

Some of the people we met.

Julian Sprung. What a nice guy. You would think someone who has done so much for this hobby might have an ego or be a little stand-offish. This is absolutely NOT THE CASE with Julian Sprung. He was easy to talk to, approachable, and he participated in almost everything. He was the one speaker who seemed to be present at everyone else's presentations. He was even buying livestock from some of the vendors. It was really nice to see someone, who has done everything he's done, still show that he's just like the rest of us. A passionate hobbyist.

We also met the US distributor for Tropic Marin. Sorry I can't remember his name . He was also a very nice guy and is emailing a bunch of questions we had about Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure back to Germany to the manufacturers.

David from Vue Technology (CoralVue bulbs and Octopus skimmers) was also there. He has been a huge help to us over the past couple years so it was nice to meet him in person. Thanks for the T-Shirts Dave!

This last picture is of Sanjay Joshi as he received the award for .....????...my notes are where?? It was something like Aquarist of the Year or Man of the Year. We all know what he has done in regards to testing lighting. His presentation was awesome. He also included info on his testing of PFO's new LED Solaris lighting system.

I wish I had taken more pictures...gives us a good reason to go again next year!

I have met sanjay and it was surprising to me that he spent all the time and effort he does primarily as a hobbiest with nothing in return. I hope he can turn some of his work into gain for himself. great pics.

Back