Just some pics out of my solana

anenomecopy.jpg

clowncopy.jpg

dragoneyescopy.jpg

greenricordiacopy.jpg

orangericordiacopy.jpg

ringsoffirecopy.jpg

starryblennycopy.jpg

hey cool, another starry blenny. I have one and love the little guy, energetic, comical, and their muted but interesting color scheme is a lot better than a lawnmower blenny. Love the ricordea pics, those are such cool inverts . . .

luisse25 says Strawberry anenome, sounds good to me. They are completely see through except for the cream colored tips, prettty cool, and most are only the size of a nickel.

Great pics!!! Gotta love the Starry Blennies. Mine is very photogenic!! Any thoughts on the first pic, the anemone, yet? Does it move around in the tank? Doesn't quite look like a Majano, but I've also seen some really colorful Majanos.

If it is indeed a Strawberry Anemone, there seems to be two species that share this common name. One is found in the Atlantic Ocean, mainly in the English Channel and gets BIG, Actinia fragacea. The other, Corynactis californica, seems to be more like what your picture shows. It's also a cold water species, and not a true anemone, but a Corallimorph, which is the same family Mushroom corals belong to. Seems that it can reproduce much like a Majano anemone and is a colonial polyp. It also has the ability to sting corals. Looks like it's actually most commonly found off the shores of British Columbia and Washington...lol Here's a fairly good article on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corynactis_californica

Looks pretty close, mine are almost completely see through and don't like light, so luckily they really don't come into contact with any if the corals.........yet!:D

Watch out for those things I have a couple in my tank. You will be suprised at where they pop up. I have not had them interacting with any other corals yet but the reproduce like crazy.

I have alot as well, but mainly on the underside of rocks. I think they spread in a tank that gets fed well, might have to cut down on the feedings a bit.

Watch out for those things I have a couple in my tank. You will be suprised at where they pop up. I have not had them interacting with any other corals yet but the reproduce like crazy.

It's actually a psuedocorynactus or orange ball anemone. If.....and I really mean *IF* they get to be full size, they can be up to about 5" in diameter and could potentially eat small fish. However, with their appetite you would have to really regularly target feed them. Most stay smaller than dime size,and I had one for a while that I was trying to "grow-out" and was able to get it to about quarter sized before I had a tank crash that killed it. pretty harmless for the most part, usually found in small clusters of two or three as LR hitch hikers and not likely to spread. Enjoy it, they're pretty cool. I should add that they can look a lot like a strawberry anemone, but strawberry anemones are usually cool water and would not survive long at our tank temps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, always nice to know what the hitchhikers really are.

It's actually a psuedocorinactus or orange ball anemone. If.....and I really mean *IF* they get to be full size, they can be up to about 5" in diameter and could potentially each small fish. However, with their appetite you would have to really regularly target feed them. Most stay smaller than dime size,and I had one for a while that I was trying to "grow-out" and was able to get it to about quarter sized before I had a tank crash that killed it. pretty harmless for the most part, and not likely to spread. Enjoy it, they're pretty cool. I should add that they can look a lot like a strawberry anemone, but strawberry anemones are usually cool water and would not survive long at our tank temps.

Back