Pinched Mantle Research

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Barry N.

Well it has been a long time coming but here it is.

After reading it, keep in mind that we have a large amount of documentation and other results but we wanted to get the official report out as soon as possible.

This has been an on going project for us for 5+ years. We still have more work to do and hopefully we will publish another paper sometime in July, 2010

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/clams.html

Best regards,

I need to share the experience I had with interceptor because of how drastic the reaction was. I bought a clam over a year ago from clamsdirect, shortly after introduction the clam didnt look as good as it had upon arrival. For atleast 10 months or so it never looked great, once in a while it would look OK but usually somewhat retracted or pinched in areas. Now a couple months ago I found red bugs in my tank, I dosed interceptor and the next day there were some still alive, so I uped the dose to about 1.5x the normal dose maybe closer to 2x. The next day the clam was fully extended more than I had ever seen before and still is today, months later. I cannot believe this was a coincidence as the clam was in the same condition for so long and the change was overnight. I would love to see anyone else be able to repeat this and confirm it as a treatment.

Hopefully now I might have sometime to continue my research on Pinched Mantle Syndrome. Have LOTS of papers to sort out and put into some sort for data base to see where we are and what trials we can perform.

Hello Barry,

I've been reading another long thread here on this forum on this disease from a long while ago. It seems there are quite a bit of discovery in the past 5 years. However, I haven't seen much news lately. Are you still working on this these days? How about any development with the oyster farming community? It seems they have huge financial interests in research.

Hope to get an update from you soon, and thank you for all the great work!

Sorry for bumping this up, but I would also like to add some insight about interceptor and my clams. I recently adopted a 6"+ derasa that looked like it was going down hill. Minimal mantle extension and colors were very faded. I placed him in my tank (lit by powermodule t5's) and hoped for the best. Keep in mind I have over 8 clams in my system, a couple that I have had for over 2 years or so, so I know I am capable of keeping clams. For the next week he looked the same.

My tanks also have alot of sps and I was delaying my interceptor treatment for awhile, especially now since my new clam addition and I didn't wanna stress him anymore than he already was. I took a chance and over dosed interceptor in my tank....I dosed about 2.5x's the recommended result. The next day I noticed the derasa had better mantle extension and "looked" more alive. On the third day he is about 75% open and colors seem to be coming back. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but does appear to be happier. I haven't done a water change yet, and I don't plan to for atleast another week or so. Im going to let the interceptor wear off from the carbon and skimming.

Just thought Id share my experience. Sorry about the grammar and spelling, its early in the morning......atleast it is for me.

Back