Pinched Mantle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Barry N.

I will start a new thread on this topic so it will be fresh. :)

As most of you know that ClamsDirect has been working on this problem of Pinched Mantle for some time and continue to do so.

Over the past several weeks we have collected from various places/hobbyist and from LFS some specimens that appear to have this problem so this coming week we are sending approx. 10 Tridacnids to University of Maine
Aquatic Animal Health Lab which has agreed to help us with some lab work.

Over the past several years we have kept some good records from people like yourselves in hopes in finding a common denominator which we have not found. One thing that I still lean toward is that this protozoan, if that is what it is, is present but acts like ich on a fish, when stressed will become present.

Hopefully in the months to come we will have more information and will be passing it on. If I do not respond to this thread in a timely fashion, it is that I am just buried in work and will respond when I have time.

Cheers

We are having a conference call tomorrow and will be shipping the clams to them later this week.

out of 7 clams I saved one from PM when I finally got desperate and tried some different things

Barry - great to see you continuing to work on this! I'm tagging along for information as it comes.

because it would have to physically pass through the UV

I think any water passing through the UV filter is being sterilized. Seems to me, that it could be a viable way to at least control the protazoan and keep it in check. I realize that protazoan are microscopic organizims but any that get irradiated will be killed off.

Back