planaria?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jellybowl

These are starting to show up in my 29g nanocube. They are currently along the bottom near the sand bed... If I remember my zoology class, they look kinda like planaria.

If so, are they hazardous to the tank or my corals?

Duh... sorry, here's a picture. I tried to use the software to show you where they are, but the best I could do is a circular focus and the rest blurry.

Yes, they are red.

looks like even the soft focus didn't work. The best picture is near the middle of the first shot. The others are stacked on each other near the bottom. I thought they were some kind of algae at first.

How do I get rid of them?

Do they look like these? If so they are flat worms. Some say they are a problem others not so much. IME they never really bothered anything. I cranked up the flow in my tank and they all disappeared within a few months.

looks like even the soft focus didn't work. The best picture is near the middle of the first shot. The others are stacked on each other near the bottom. I thought they were some kind of algae at first.

How do I get rid of them?

increased flow and less excess nutrients (to much feeding??) will get rid of them without chemical methods. I had a ton in my 40 a few years ago and that was what worked for me.

The other thing to do is just siphon them out with water changes. Eventually you'll get the population down and they'll disappear. Or if you want to go on a hunting expedition, just attach a filter sock (or some pantyhose) to the outlet end of your siphon hose, suck them out into the sock, and return the water to your tank.

They are also attracted to light, some have used flashlights to make them gather in one spot for siphoning. Natural methods are Sixlines or Mandarins, i've never had an issue with them since i've had my Sixline.

Back