planning the next tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trashman

so my tank is 3 months old now and everything is looking good but i need more room so i am planning my upgrade. i am looking at getting a 150gal RR 48L x 24D x 30H. if anyone has any suggestions i will be happy to listen to what you have to say like i said i am planning it out right now nothing is set in stone yet. if their is anyone that has a tank like this tell me what you think of it i am curious to know what the pros and cons would be.

I would try to drop the height and perhaps make up with the volume loss with an increase in width. This is just my personal preference though as the depth will require increased lighting.

As Akunochi said, I would look for a tank with less height. I was also try to convert some of that into length as well if you plan on keeping fish that require more swimming room. My dream tank would be 72X30X25. A deeper tank (front to back) allows you to place your rocks so that they aren't crowding the front glass and makes the tank look huge when peering into it. Some of the nicest looking tanks I've seen are shallow reef designs.

Mike

These two said it all. My tank is 30" deep and its very difficult to reach the bottom even with my long arms. It also requires stronger lighting. I use 400W MH.

Thanks for the input i have been trying to stay away from the 6' tank because of length. But it looks like if i want one that big 6 is the way to go so i will start looking into them.

A longer tank isn't absolutely necessary, but if you want to keep tangs and wrasses I'd recommend it. If you're going to go exclusively reef you could certainly do a 48" tank. Think how good a 48" rimless cube would look in your house. Just don't drool on your keyboard. Chicks hate drool!

Back