Please Help - Filters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

h45e

I want to start up a Marine aquarium... but I have a tank that is:
91.5cm Long
78.5cm High
30.5cm Wide

Just would like to know what filter would be good for that size tank because i am thinking of putting marine fish and live coral into the tank. Also the tank is in the dining room, so I would like nothing big hanging off the tank.

I was thinking of a

Aqua One 104F Maxi Internal Power Filter

http://www.equarium.com.au/files/store/images/103f.jpg

Because I have seen it in Marine Aquarium shops filtering their tanks... but everyone is telling me one thing or another.

h45e if your plan is to keep corals usually the use of this kind of a filter is the main filter is not a good plan. These filters have a habit of producing a byproduct of nitrate, which is okay for fish the deadly for corals. It can be done but you'll need to clean the units constantly, usually every second day or so. I would suggest that you do a little research on the use of live rock as your main filtration source. This type of filtration will take care of nitrates. Check out our library do little but a reading on live rock under the filtration section and come on back and we can take a little bit farther.

Take care

Mike

Whops, soz..
I am going to put in live rock and live sand for the base aswell. going to have 2 lights.. 1 blue 1 white (fluro lights).
And maybe a airstone.

Ok, no problem. the LS and LR will take care of your filtration needs. You can keep a canister filter for the occasional use of carbon or other simular types. From this point its just going to be getting some flow in te tank to keep things well oxygenated and to make a good enviroment for the corals and fish. Maybe in your case the use of Power Heads might be a good way to start that operation off. Are your lights the normal output lights that came with the tank?? or are the a VHO type of light. If normal lights then you still should be fine for some of the soft corals which is the best bet for as you are starting up for the first time.

hope it helps

mike

thanks for that, the lights I set-up myself, I think they a normal lights..
Where do I get some VHO lights?

Back