Please help me identify and replace MH ballast part

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Faciosity

reefer
My ballast blew out a couple days ago, and I've found the problem. This piece litterally blew up, sending sparks and smoke from the casing. I believe it is the starter/ignitor, but it might be a capacitor (I'm not an electrician!:)) If this part blew out, did it also blow out the transformer/core?

Anybody know where I can get one of these?

DSCN4187.jpg

DSCN4185.jpg

15uF, 400VAC capacitor. Call around to local electronics supply shops and check availability. In the Seattle area I'd check with Radar Electric. Just call and give them the specs and they should be able to help. If I had to guess I'd say that the rest of your ballast is probably fine. The dielectric material breaks down in these after awhile causing them to fail.

Mike

If i was you i would just buy a ballast kit, cresent supply or platt in spokane should carry most kits from 75watt mh to 1500watt mh. The kit will give you everything just in case you smoked something else. Or you can get electronic mh ballast on ebay pretty cheap these days.

I was down at aquatic dreams and kevin has those capacitors that you need. If you didnt know his shop is at the post falls outlet next to the greyhound park.

Back