Please help with Sump Return & Overflow --PICS--

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ROLLINS

Hi all,, I need help maintaining a constant water level in my sump. after about six months of building, researching, and re-building, I finally reached the stage of adding water to my tank. Problem: my Mag18 return pump (around 1400gph @4ft head) is pushing more water back to the display than it is receiving from my durso standpipe internal overflow and thru my sump tank. I have a ball valve on my 1.5" pvc return but i have to lean it way back before my sump starts to level out, and I would like to have as much pressure to my closed loop as possible. I only have one internal corner overflow box measuring 8" X 6" with a 1.5" bottom drilled bulkhead & a 1.5" Durso Standpipe. 115G Display, 38G sump @ 10" water level. I hope I gave you all enough info.. I have played a little with the air hole size in the top of the overflow pipe, it is about the size of 2-3 toothpicks. Thanks, Rollins:exclaim:

I don't see a closed loop. A closed loop is a system that just circulates water within the aquarium, no sump involved.

As far as the mag pump taking more than it receives thats just an issue of flow rates. It says you have a 1.5" drain line, I'm not sure that it can handle 1500gph of gravity fed flow. Try taking the cap off your standpipe and see if that solves the problem. If it does you know that the hole is too small.

Basically to use your current setup you need a smaller pump, the one you have at the moment is pushing a lot of flow through a 38gph sump as is.

-Dan

I have not installed the closed loop system nor have i silicone in the internal overflow (green tape), I'm testing everything first. I found this info from http://www.dursostandpipes.com
"Even though Durso Standpipes can make use of a siphon effect to get higher flow rates than a gravity drain alone, it is not recommended for day to day operation.
Conservative estimates for bulkhead flow rates are as follows:

* 3/4 inch - 350 gallons per hour per bulkhead (unconfirmed).
* 1 inch - 600 Gallons per hour per bulkhead.
* 1.5 inch - 1,500 Gallons per hour per bulkhead."

If this is correct, the 1.5" bulkhead & standpipe should be enough to handle 1400gph return from the mag18 pump??

--Rollins

Pull the cap on the durso, that will tell you if the hole is too small. Did you check to see if the problem is the sump itself? It looks nicely done but the bubble traps may be a bit too close.

I still think your sump return is a little heavy duty for the application.

-Dan

Or maybe you just need more water in the system. I'm looking at the pic of your sump/return pump and the return section is really low. Add a few gallons and see what it does.

-Dan

Basically to use your current setup you need a smaller pump, the one you have at the moment is pushing a lot of flow through a 38gph sump as is.

Not necessarily. :p I have 25G sump with a mag 18. My mag does far more work than just overflows though :D It all depends on how its set up.

Although, a single 1.5" bulkhead can only handle what is listed here.

I do however (while contradicting) have to agree with Dan. In your case, maxing out a single overflow may not be the best idea. In most cases its best to leave a little failsafe extra to the standpipe. You never know what could may get into your overflow and cause a partial blockage. You'd be suprised. Are you going to put some sort of comb or screen on top of your overflow?

If all else fails just choke back the output of the return pump as much as needed. If you run your CL with a sequence dart or something comparable you should be fine. After all, the only real purpose of the return pump is to get water to and from the display tank to be heated and cleaned. The extra circulation is only a bonus. Thats why we all run closed loops or powerheads to keep the corals happy.
Also, you definately need to add a couple gallons to the return chamber.

My question is why do you want so much flow through your sump? I would get a smaller pump, about 1/2 of what you have and then run the mag18 for your closed loop..

Also as for your question on the overflow. It is not large enough to handle 1400 gph. Yes the drain size is correct but the minimum linear overflow size for 1400 gph is 21 inches with a 1.5 inch drain.... your's is only 8 inches....

i dont think you need that much flow thur ur sump....

If i were u and IMO i would use the mag you have now for your sump as the pump for your closed loop, and get your self a mag 7 or 5 and have a nice slow flow thur your sump... makeing sure that your skimmer has time 2 grab all the stuff it can b4 going back..

AHHH THAT WAS WHAT I WAS GOING TO GET AT (BURNING2ND)! AS MUCH AS WE ALL LIKE A HUGE FLO RATE IT IS NOT THE BEST THING!!! UNLESS WE ARE IN THE C.L. Conversation's TO DO A SYSTEM PROPERLY IN MY OPINION TRUST ME I HAVE TRIED 4 TANKS 2 REFUGES AND ECT ECT. LOOK AT THE SIMPLE IDEAS .LIKE GPH V/S SKIMMER,U.V.....AND THINK OF LATER ADD ONS AS WELL . AT ONE POINT I HAD A 32 GAL FOR MY 55 AND A 11.5 TO START .HERE IS ANOTHER IDEA AS WELL THINK GRASS,EXTRA SPACE FOR CORAL FRAGGING ECT. I WOULD GO WITH A 55 GAL MYSELF TRY LOOIKING HERE TO GET SOME BETTER IDEAS LOOK AT ALL .HELPS TO GAIN A ASPECT ON SUMP/TANK SIZE http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html. HOPE WE ALL HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP

Back