Plumbing and Drilling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlearned

I have a 120 gallon glass tank that I am in the process of setting up. I am taking my time as I want to try and get this right the first time. The tank dimensions are 60"x18"x26" and does not have internal overflows. I already know that the bottom sheet is tempered but the sides are not. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank for my sump which will be split into 3 sections: Skimmer/Return/Refugium. I was thinking about using the Panworld 50PX-X external pump for my return (Comparable to Iwaki: 30RLXT).

Originally I was planning on drilling 3 holes: 1- 1.5" for a durso overflow in the middle towards the bottom back wall and 2- 3/4" for the returns up high. Then I plan on splitting each return into 2 1/2" nozzles.

Now I am thinking of doing a "Coast to Coast" and placing a 1.5" bulkhead in the left corner with a 90 degree coming off the bulkhead for the overflow and then drilling a 1" bulkhead on the right corner and running 1" pipe through the coast to coast and teeing off in 2 spots to 3/4" lines that would then come through the coast to coast and split into 4 1/2" nozzles. This way I only need to drill 2 holes instead of three and I keep all the holes at the top of the tank in case of a leak there will be less water to spill out.

I would like to hear your opinions about this set up and maybe some recommendations how it could be done better. If I did my homework correctly I should get about 600 GPH figuring about 100 GPM for the refugium line.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Back