Pocillpora babies

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

randythereefer

Okay this is going to sound like a dumb question but how on earth is it possible for my tank to be invaded by pocillpora babies everywhere. I mean I've heard of other people having this same thing happen but I don't understand it. Is it some sort of asexual reproduction? Its certainly nothing I did. I have one colony that sort of dies off at the very bottom as it grows bigger but I have never have places frags anywhere in the tank. Yet all over the tank I have little pocillpora's growing. Input from others is greatly appreciated.

They can expell their polyps (I believe that's the right term), and wherever they land, you get a new colony started (whether you like it or not). I've seen this happen in more than one tank.

So does the pocillopora polyp that leaves the mother colony just float around until it finds a place it will be happy with? So they're exact clones of the original? Just like frags? I was just curious. I count at least ten of these new fuzzy's in the tank.

Yes they can land in some pretty unusual places. Mine started growing on my Sea Swirl nozzels. They are clones of the parent.

Regards,
Kevin

Back