Pod/critter seeding help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gREEF Stricken

Morning everyone,

my tank has been up for 4mo now and is doing well. I want to add a decent gob of pods to sump to get the party started. I searched as many pod threads as I could find locally. I found a couple members that were willing to provide a starter culture to other new members and have sent PMs, but with no response I checked and they have all been off the site for several months. So I am shouting out here in this forum only because I don't have enough posts to put this in its proper forum which is livestock for sale. Anybody local to me willing to help me out?

thanks.
GS

It kind of depends on what kind of pods you want. Fish food and what fish?
I know Barrier Reef sells tisbe pods. You might call to make sure they have them in stock before making the drive up there. Dr Foster and Smith has them too.
I also know about 2 different websites that sell pods and I have bought from both sites and found them very unreliable.
Both places sells pods which they say are both copepods and amphipods, but I've found them to be mostly large amphipods.

I bought a bottle of Tiger Pods locally and frankly thought them quite pricey at $25, but admittedly I could see maybe 100-150(w/o lab gear they are hard to count) swimming energetically, so I was jazzed...nothin but healthy rubble in my fuge and a tiny loan Emerald crab so nothin to munch them. Killed lights and pumps and innoculated sump...nearly a month later not a SINGLE swimmer...day/night, light/dark w/flashlight...NOTHIN!! Only fish in display are my wife's sand dwellers: Yellow Watchman named Grover and "Nibbler"(I know, I know but next chance u get to see them both in a 24 hr period will get it) a Lawnmower Blenny. I DO have a post fuge skimmer due to ignorance at design time but it can't get them ALL...so I will probably not have anybody else who really eats them but I am a big fan of symbiosis as an "Aquaponic" gardener and a tilapia breeder I raise freshwater daphnia so it fits my skillset...:) thx for the input.

GS

I used Reef Soup from eBay. I bought the smallest size to seed my refugium. My population is pretty healthy right now.

I tried the tisbe pods in my sump too. I never see them, but i do see the pods from the Reef Soup.

Tiger pods live in cooler temperatures. Reef Nutrition claims they can do well in reef tanks & they can be found in tide pools that get warmer in the summer. They need micro algae to survive. I recommend buying pods found in tropical waters. There's a variety of them available.

I used Reef Soup from eBay. I bought the smallest size to seed my refugium. My population is pretty healthy right now.

I tried the tisbe pods in my sump too. I never see them, but i do see the pods from the Reef Soup.

Spoke to an LFS a few weeks back and came to learn the Tiger pods can easily be cultured in a bucket if proper conditions are replicated but will not reproduce in sump. It didn't bother to study the conditions needed as I wish to introduce a species that will in fact reproduce in my sump.

GS

I had tigger pods do very well in both my DT & HOB fuge. I've got a video on YouTube (NanaReefer) showing their abundance.

If your on Facebook check out the Pacific Northwest reef keeping group and post a request for pods there are sways people willing to give away cheat and pods to people starting up

If your on Facebook check out the Pacific Northwest reef keeping group and post a request for pods there are sways people willing to give away cheat and pods to people starting up

Thanks for the input Cope. But unfortunately I'm one of those oddballs who LOATHES social Media. Basically if it requires me to use FB or any other social media resource to access something then nice decided I don't need it...:) I do appreciate the info tho.

GS

I do'nt have any pods for you right now. I was planning on setting up the Bucket of pods that was referred too earlier. It basically consists of a bucket, old tank water, air pump with or with out air stone, a couple of sponges, flake food and some pods from somewhere. According to what I have read just make the water super dirty and the pods will go crazy. Then you take out the sponge put it in your tank and viola you have a never ending supply of pods.

Like I said though you would have to get the pods in the first place.

I bought a bottle of Tiger Pods locally and frankly thought them quite pricey at $25, but admittedly I could see maybe 100-150(w/o lab gear they are hard to count) swimming energetically, so I was jazzed...nothin but healthy rubble in my fuge and a tiny loan Emerald crab so nothin to munch them. Killed lights and pumps and innoculated sump...nearly a month later not a SINGLE swimmer...day/night, light/dark w/flashlight...NOTHIN!! Only fish in display are my wife's sand dwellers: Yellow Watchman named Grover and "Nibbler"(I know, I know but next chance u get to see them both in a 24 hr period will get it) a Lawnmower Blenny. I DO have a post fuge skimmer due to ignorance at design time but it can't get them ALL...so I will probably not have anybody else who really eats them but I am a big fan of symbiosis as an "Aquaponic" gardener and a tilapia breeder I raise freshwater daphnia so it fits my skillset...:) thx for the input.

GS

I've read that it takes a long time for tigger pods to lay eggs and hatch. I've also read they don't do real well with out the right food for them to eat. I think the best thing for them is a little candy for current fish and maybe a good food to get picky fish, eating.

Some info from Reef Nutrition

hmm, it's not letting me post a url link.

I found some information by googling Tigger Pods and finding the FAQ link.

Back