Pod Cultivation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

Well, I got a bunch of pods from a reef frontiers sponsor (Thanks Adelaide) and I set up a couple of pod cultures along with my hang on refugium. I have 2 experiments going. One is a salad bowl of about 2 gallons. I have a 13v compact florescent on it and and handful of cheato (Thanks Elmo). No areation, no heat. The other is a 3 gallon Eclipse system which I set up about a week ago.
My salad bowl culture is doing very well, lots of bugs kicking around in there. My question is this: How do I maintain this small tank? Water changes? Top off? There seems to be a bunch of gunk on the bottom. I don't know what that is. Should I siphon it off? Every 3 days or so I give them a tiny bit of ground flake food or a shot of Bioplankton.
I don't see much action in the Eclipse yet. Any advice is appreciated.

Larry - keep us up to date on your culture experiment. Here is a quote about waterchanges from Adelaide's website: (Tips on Culturing Copepods)

Do a 10-20% water change every week to ensure the best survival of the pods. These copepods will thrive at 28 to 34 ppt (1.020 to 1.025).

Back