Pod Cultures

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm in need of advice. I'm going to be starting a 10 gal tank for culturing pods and other lil' critters. I'm doing this because I don't have a sump on either tank and this would be much cheaper than investing in the needed overflows and such for a sump. I have everything I need to do this....if it will work. My thoughts are as follows.

I'll get 10 or 12 quart canning jars and put a lil' live sand and a lil' rubble rock in each then place them in the 10 gallon tank. The water level will end up a couple inches, or so, above the lip of the jars and I'll have a small powerhead for circulation. I realize I may not get a lot of circulation within each jar and I don't know if that's good or bad for the critters. On each of my 2 tanks, I've got AquaClear 300s that I converted into "mini-fuges." I've got a good amount of Chaeto growing in each one. I'll pull a few pieces of the Chaeto apart and seed each jar with some. The live sand will also be coming out of my established tank that has a lil' too much sand in it already. After everything is up and running, and I start to see some pod populations, I would add a tiny pinch of food to each jar every few days or so. I'm still not sure how I would get the pods out of the tank to feed to the other tanks....any ideas on that? Am I better off doing all of this without including the jars? My thought was that if I include jars, I'll be less inclined to want to use this as a QT tank or to otherwise add any fish to this system. I realize that adding fish would defeat the purpose as they'd eat what I'm attempting to culture.

Okay, now for the advice. Is this a really silly idea? Am I better off going another route? The reason I'm wanting to do this is to enlarge the population of the lil' critters in my tanks and also as a food source for a Mandarin Goby. Any advice, criticism or suggestions are welcome!! Thanks all.

the jar idea sounds interesting. Then you could pull out a jar and pour out pods into your tank, huh?

take a 10g tank and string filter sponges on a fishing line and run a powerhead through it and add phyto dialy. siphoned detrius from the display is also good food. when the pods are needed just take a flashlight and shine it on the tank and then siphon them off the glass (they are attracted to light)

I see jars in a tank as an evap problem wich leeds to super high salinities and pod die offs

Setup the 10gal with around an 1" of crushed coral, and a few inches of rubble. Seed this with life from whatever (chaeto, the rubble you added, etc).

Buy 4 plumbers grout shapeing sponges, hardware stores generally carry 2 types, get the more course type. Rub some flake food into the sponges, and stick them all in the 10gal. In a week or two, the sponges will be thickly crawling with life. Dip in with a bowl and scoop out one of the sponges, add it to the display/s you wish to feed. After a few days, swap sponges again, and reload up the sponge with flake food debris inside it.

A friend has been doing this process for over a year now to keep a mandarin in his 6gal nano on his desk at work. Every week he just brings a newly loaded sponge in a tupperware sandwich container, drops it in the nano, and brings the other home to be reloaded up with critters.

I have another option for you. PVC overflows cost around $15 in materials to make, a 10gal tank costs around 5-$10, and a tiny return pump would run around $15-$20. This is all you need to stick a fuge on the tanks. If you happen to find yourself in Tacoma, I actually have a pair of hang over the side overflows that I made from PVC that I will simply give you.

Back