Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Chaeto anchored by liverock etc to keep stationary

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Krish

RF STAFF
Being one of the most commonly used macro algae's out there for nutrient export, there are a number of different ways people go about using chaeto. Thought it would be nice to do a poll on it to see what actually is the most preferred method of using it. If I missed out any options, let me know and I will add it in to the poll. Also, for an extra source of information for those looking in, if you like, you can state which bulbs you use over your chaeto and maybe, how many hours a day it recieves light.:)

Last edited:
I just have a big ball that floats around in the sump. I don't even currently have lights on my sump, but it gets at least a few hours of indirect sunlight, which is just enough to keep it alive and growing.

I just have a big ball that floats around in the sump. I don't even currently have lights on my sump, but it gets at least a few hours of indirect sunlight, which is just enough to keep it alive and growing.

Pretty cool...So your fuge isn't under your tank or is it that you just don't have doors on the stand to allow light in? Usually it's good to have light over the fuge on an alternate photperiod from the tank. This way it helps with keeping the ph stable. :)

My sump is under the tank, but has no doors or siding restricting light. I understand that it is good to have an alternate lighting period for your fuge/sump, but if you remember correctly a light fell into my sump a while back causing major issues, and I havn't replaced it yet.

Faciosity said:
My sump is under the tank, but has no doors or siding restricting light. I understand that it is good to have an alternate lighting period for your fuge/sump, but if you remember correctly a light fell into my sump a while back causing major issues, and I havn't replaced it yet.

Ahh...Yes that is right. Don't you know you should play around with water and electricity!! I've done the same thing myself a few times with those flimsy all glass light fixtures you use on your freshwater tanks. Fun fun! :p

I currently have mine sitting on the sandbed. It is seriously a brick. It has taken the shape of the area that it is in, and if I pulled it out it would stay in that shape. I have 2x200 watt flourescent floods over it. WOrks like a champ for growing. I remember reading somewhere it is better to have it in a ball rolling in the refugium. But I just let mine grow and trim as needed. I do try to get in there and do a saltwater rinse every now and then just to get out any built up detris

"Chaeto and how you use it"
As a steamed side dish or fresh with oil and vinegar

Anthony Calfo once suggested Chaeto tumbling in a fuge

I have a 20gal long sump with first section skimmer then bubble trap (3 baffles) then refugium, I have about 5 inches of live rock ruble with the chateo floating above it. I have it lit with a 75 watt 6500K bulb ordered online, my Melev's recommendation (melevsreef.com) works great for me, 1 week after setting up I have undetectable nitrates, and my PH swing at night is minimal. Also theres plenty of pods living in the chateo, and plenty make it live to the main display without issues.

Here too, I have a mix of macro algae in the middle section of my sump with a 75w 6500k bulb I bought at home depot. Cheato, grape caulerpa, mexicana caulerpa, some red branching kind, dont remember what it is. The stuff is going to take over my house it grows so fast. No sand and no rock in my sump. Was suggested to me not to because it would be too hard to clean.

The stuff is going to take over my house it grows so fast. No sand and no rock in my sump. Was suggested to me not to because it would be too hard to clean.[/QUOTE]

Do you clean five sand bed.......I have never

The stuff is going to take over my house it grows so fast. No sand and no rock in my sump. Was suggested to me not to because it would be too hard to clean.

Do you clean five sand bed.......I have never[/QUOTE]

No I havent cleaned mine either. The filters keep most the detritus out of it, but one day I may need to. Maybe!

Well I voted other which goes for any macro algae. I try to keep zero nitrates without the use of anything. I let the liverock, tank maintenance and skimming do all the work. Has worked well for me in the past. I did however use some cyno that was growing at my advantage during cycling, but the day my tank balanced out and it stopped growing was the last time a light went over my sump. I went through two tank swaps after that and never had a nutrient issue. Amazing how every tank is different. :)

Back