Pom Pom Crab help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

genospamoni

So just got a pom pom crab pretty sure that he lost his anemone's i've heard rumor of him picking up some aptasia or some other things in place of it but unfortunately i'm a newb and dont have anything he can use. is there a way to get the beaded anemone's or the genus Bunodeopsis or whatever. i really want him to be the highlight of my tank, right now he's no bigger than the end of an eraser on a pencil. neways any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've had that happen and he grew it back... So don't worry to much..

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

I don't know if maybe mine didn't loose the whole thing, but when I got mine home and was putting it in the tank, I noticed it was in the bag and not on him, and a few weeks later he had 2 again and one was noticeably bigger than the other like it 1 grew back.

This was just from personal experience, and have no clue if he found it in the tank. I just assumed he grew it back because of the size difference.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

One of the articles mentions that is they loose one, they will split the other one. That could account for the size difference.

Yup - I had one years ago, and he only came with one - he split the other and was a real entertaining little guy.

So just got a pom pom crab pretty sure that he lost his anemone's i've heard rumor of him picking up some aptasia or some other things in place of it but unfortunately i'm a newb and dont have anything he can use. is there a way to get the beaded anemone's or the genus Bunodeopsis or whatever. i really want him to be the highlight of my tank, right now he's no bigger than the end of an eraser on a pencil. neways any info would be greatly appreciated.

I recently got a pair (female has eggs) and love them. I have done extensive research on them and they will sometimes find other things to replace the anemones. Could range from an aptasia to corals. It isn't guaranteed it will replace them and can do fine without them as long as he/she doesn't need to defend themselves.

The species likes to hide, usually, so it may not be the highlight...some people won't see their pom pom for weeks or months but some are more "social" and come out more often.

Hope this helps =)

Aiptasia are generally unwanted and I don't know of anywhere that sells them. You can try some of the LFS and see if they have any on their live rock and I bet they would give it away for free. The issue with trying to give them that anemone would be having them spread throughout the tank and then having to deal with that. Not to mention that your crab may not accept it.

The one they ususally come with are Triactis producta but no idea where you would find those. I have heard of a pom pom splitting one and giving to a crab that has lost theirs...would require you to buy another and again it may not happen.

Hmm that sux. I'm gonna go to percolate tomorrow don't know of anywhere else that sells saltwater fish. But petco gets there shipments on wed so I'm gonna try to get there before they acclimate some of there things

Back