Portland/Eugene Stores

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Apple5150

Ok, so we are making a road trip this weekend. Cam's grandma passed away, so we are driving to Eugene on Friday. Does anyone know of any good stores in Portland, Salem, Eugene? I figure if I have to drive this far, may as well make a couple of pit stops on the way home. :p

k, here you goes.....

upscales in portland,
soutas in portland,
waves in portland
(if you have to pick one go to upscales!!!!)

advanced reef in salem

aqua serene in eugene

bring your wallet to upscales, and he gets in new shipments every friday.
probably my favorite store in all of wa/or!!

and you gotta see aqua serene in eugene, a massive place, nursery, hydroponics, and reefs!!

IMO, nothing matches Upscales here in Seattle.

Waves is great, too. Smaller store, but nice selection.

I'm sure you'll be bringing something back.

Best,
Ilham

Oh, darn. I keep hearing about this place too. Havent heard much, just that it is nice. Well, will have to find these places, may end up spending all day sunday driving back with all the pit stops.

id agree with peoples posts...IMO upscales, soutas, waves in portland area. and advanced and coral reef pet center in salem. in eugene, aqua serene and maybe cichlids and salt....are worth stoppin at... if i was in a hurry upscales,soutas, coral reef pet center, and aquaserene...HTH

click on the banner below for contact info for those stores except aqua serene

Sorry about that Paris... :cry:

But do visit as many stores as you can and let us know... we keep talking about a club carpool down there... :)

I have a strong feeling that Barrier Reef is going to give Upscales a run for their money as far as quality and prices. Is it November yet? Man, I can't wait for Barrier to open.

has anybody been to seahorse? IMO they are just as good, but the owner is in a wheel chair so you have to bag your own stuff:shock: . they have a website, i will find it.

i have heard that it is hard to get good stock as far south as oregon. does anybody know if that is true? you have a major port and airport so i don't see why it would be any harder.

by good stock, i think that you mean amazingly better products and prices than washington.lol

no i am just kidding, i have no idea

IMO, nothing matches Upscales here in Seattle.

Waves is great, too. Smaller store, but nice selection.

I'm sure you'll be bringing something back.

Best,
Ilham

We hear you loud and clear Washington;)

Coming soon...

Imagine a slightly smaller version of Upscales but with more dry goods to choose from, more varieties of aquacultured corals, and no 6 hour roundtrip drive. Plus a PSAS discount!

Last edited:
Hey if you want to check out almost all the LFS down here in Oregon, go to www.pnwmas.org , then go into your forum section, all our LFS sponsors have their own forums with 'store info'. Address, phone numbers, store hours, etc. That would allow you to mapquest them and find the ones that work best for you. Sorry to hear about your family member. HTH

or click the signature.

i have heard that it is hard to get good stock as far south as oregon. does anybody know if that is true? you have a major port and airport so i don't see why it would be any harder.

Don't you mean "as far north" ? I would think it's the other way around. Most of the stuff come through LAX and Cali, by the time they get up to the NW area, all the good stuff are already picked through and gone.

That's the one thing I am going miss about living in Cali.

D.

The best stores....regardless of location (all you need is an airport)....are the ones that have over the years cultured relationships with transshippers. If a store sources stock from only LA wholesalers, they will never see a steady supply of high quality livestock....only livestock that has been passed over by jobbers, cherry pickers, and the LA local stores. It's all about the transshipping to avoid the competition in LA.....and that's where Upscales has the edge over the other local shops. The store is nothing special.....in fact it's usually a mess.....but, the quality of stock is high and the selection large. Of course, you need to arrive at load time to get the best stuff......we have our local cherry pickers too.

Back