Post pictures of your stand and canopies

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
Figured this might be really helpful for those looking for stand and canopy ideas! Can't remember if we had a thread like this before so I guess that means it's good to go :D

Here are a few of my old ones for starters. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And one I build for my freshwater tank that I just got rid of. Hidden lid on canopy and hidden door on stand :)

It's been a while since I saw those. I had forgotten that you are a very good woodworker.
Nice work.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Ah I wish I was that nice of a wood worker! I am trying to build some sort of canopy thing for my lights...haha not going all that well so far

It's been a while since I saw those. I had forgotten that you are a very good woodworker.
Nice work.

Ah I wish I was that nice of a wood worker! I am trying to build some sort of canopy thing for my lights...haha not going all that well so far
10-24-2010 08:10 PM

Thanks guys!!

Dieden, nice stand! Love the 3rd door idea! Not many people use them and it is so convenient! :)

Nice work.

10-24-2010 08:10 PM

Thanks guys!!

Dieden, nice stand! Love the 3rd door idea! Not many people use them and it is so convenient! :)

Here is inside the 75gal canopy

There are actually 4 doors. Two front and one on each side. The side doors are sized so that my sump can slide in and out from either end. Never finished the hood tho..

here's my cabinet

this is my cabinet and 55 gallon reef tank its only 4 months old but coming on strong

Last edited:
ok see if this works

picture of my 55 gallon tank sorry about first up load not workin pic was to big the cabinet is made of cherry wood,

I have a build thread on here that I promise I'm going to update...one day. Anyway, this is what it looked like without stain and poly. I used MinWax mahogany gel stain and several coats of satin polyurethane over it. Again, I promise I'll update my pics one day.

107.jpg

The sample on the left is what I ended up going with. That's mahogany gel, two coats with a 10 minute rest time before wiping, followed by 3 coats of satin poly. It looks quite a bit darker in natural light.

004-4.jpg

The lower stand isn't attached to the steel stand. For regular maintenance I simply open the doors for access. For big jobs, I pull the wood stand off. I can disconnect the sump plumbing and it slides out the right side of the steel stand. I've coiled up the wires and want to put black vinyl on the back of the sump to help hide them but I'm essentially done with the build.

011-2.jpg

I have a build thread on here that I promise I'm going to update...one day. Anyway, this is what it looked like without stain and poly. I used MinWax mahogany gel stain and several coats of satin polyurethane over it. Again, I promise I'll update my pics one day.

107.jpg

The sample on the left is what I ended up going with. That's mahogany gel, two coats with a 10 minute rest time before wiping, followed by 3 coats of satin poly. It looks quite a bit darker in natural light.

004-4.jpg

The lower stand isn't attached to the steel stand. For regular maintenance I simply open the doors for access. For big jobs, I pull the wood stand off. I can disconnect the sump plumbing and it slides out the right side of the steel stand. I've coiled up the wires and want to put black vinyl on the back of the sump to help hide them but I'm essentially done with the build.

011-2.jpg

Sounds good!! Looks nice!! :)

Here are a few builds I have done.
Brazilian cherry with bamboo doors
000_1480_edited.jpg

000_1467_edited.jpg

Then I converted this setup to this for a more open look:
004-24.jpg

With all the filtration in the garage behind it.
We moved recently and now I am working on another build.

Back