Potter Angel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

I have a 2" Potter's Angel for several months now. He has been feeding very well both prepared foods and whatever he finds in the rock-work of the 220 gallon tank he is is.

He swims more then any other fish I have. Constantly swimming around the tank in between all the rocks but he also spends a lot of time "pacing" the glass, both vertically and horizontally.

I understand that pacing can be an indication of an improperly sized aquarium, but its a 220 with over 300lbs of live rock and all of the tankmates completely ignore him. Could something be wrong and how can I find out what it is.

Your tank is definitely large enough for this fish. What other fish are in the tank? It could be trying to "challenge" it's reflection. What are all your water parameters? Any sign of visible injury or illness? Is it breathing normal or does the breathing seem fast as if it's gasping? Does it seem to rub or scrape itself on the glass, sand or rock work?

This could be a sign of something wrong, or it could be normal behavior. I would say that if water parameters are good, no in-compatible tank mates and no illness, that you're just fine and it's acting normal. Fish have a tendency to do things just for the sake of FREAKING US OUT!!! LOL I know they're swimming around in there lil' world saying to one another "Okay, my turn to mess with our master, watch this, I'll swim this way for a couple of days." No really, I honestly think they do this!!! LOL

Since the major causes of this behavior (too small tank, incompatible tankmates, poor water quality, etc) seem to be satisfied, the only thing I could think of is its still has not grown accustomed to the confines of a glass tank and eventually will stop (hopefully). I hope whatever is causing the stress does not do him in early.

As mentioned in my recent sticky: What Size Tank for that Marine Fish? what should work according to the best opinion, doesn't always hold true. DT size is an opinion based upon those five aspects of fish husbandry and behavior. There are outliers to those general considerations.

There are other "theres. . ."

There are always some fish that are space stressed for no particular good reason. Not just the whole species, but an individual within that species. I'm unsure why this is. This could be a phase of acclimating to captivity that the fish just won't get past.

There is a chance that the fish needs something it isn't getting -- back to nutrition. Is the fish growing? If the fish is growing, then you can eliminate that. If the fish has stopped growing, then there may be a nutritional deficiency and the fish is trying to find what it needs. Nothing is for sure.

There is the 'nicer' thought that, the fish is so well cared for that it is looking for a chance to procreate and. . .that won't happen in the current area with those tankmates. However, this won't explain sexually immature fishes that display this, too.

If you have eliminated any other stressors (water quality, another fish chasing or not liking it, reflection, etc.) then that particular fish doesn't fit the average for that species when it comes to being satisfied with its space.

Last edited:
I food him mostly herbivore type foods with lots of different kinds of algaes, but he will eat pretty much anything and goes after all types of foods as long as they are small enough. He constantly picks on the substrate though (live rock and glass walls with algae growth). They really love hiding and swimming around the rockwork so providing that type of environment may be an important part of them acclimating and begin feeding prepared foods.

Back