Power outage: any type of equip to call & notify you?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cajun Reefer

Does anyone know of any type of commercially made device that can be hooked up to a telephone jack that will call your cellphone or pager to let you know that there is a power outage at your residence (ie aquarium) when you are away from home?

I have a 5600 watt portable generator but it doesn't do me any good if I don't know that the power is out. Fortunately, my job usually allows for me to come home at will should a power outage arise.

I'm familiar with the Power Alarm at Premium Aquatics but it only sounds an alarm with you having to be present in the house or room.
Power Alert Alarm

Thank you for your time and any ideas.

I'm familiar with the Power Alarm at Premium Aquatics but it only sounds an alarm with you having to be present in the house or room

LOL! If you're home and need an alarm to tell you that the power is out because you can't tell by sitting in darkness staring at a black screen on your TV, then somethings wrong:lol: About an automatic caller, I have never seen one before Dennis:)

there are programmable dial-up thermostats that will call up to three numbers if the temp drops below what you set the alarm, and call if there is a power outage for more than how much time you set. you can also call it and check the status of several parameters. its $400-$500 minimum for all the equipment and you can set it up with home security also and run it all thru your computer if you want to spend that much.

Ooo, how about something around the $100 range or cheaper?

I'm just thinking out loud but what about some type of water level controller that kicks on an automatic phone dialer when the water level drops due to pumps off? I'm going to do some research into that tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

I've found a product that does exactly what I'm looking for but still a little on the pricey side, $200. :eek: Plus it has an ambient temperature alarm included that I don't need.

Temperature Guard's Home Guard VM500-2 monitors the temperature and power wherever it is located. If the temperature goes below 45 degrees or the power fails for more than 5 minutes, the Home Guard will call and alert you at up to two different phone numbers.

I may contact the company for other options.

Still open to other ideas or items. I'm trying to work my way down to the sub-$100 range. :cool:

I also found a few in that same $200-300 range, even one that will EMAIL you when the power goes out! (for $300:( ) http://www.ipower.imodem.net/

I did find 1 unit A "Home Montiroing Unit" (from "Reliance Controls" I think) in the sub-$100 range.. You can find them for sale on Amazon or Google just search for "THP202" (though they have other models also.)

Also The "Aquacontroller 2" sounds like a good option too--they seem to be expensive, but well reviewed elsewhere. ...
It's a full-featured aquarium unit, which means it can monitor pH, montior temp, act as a fan or pump controller, it even records data, and you can communicate with the unit via the web (apparently you can even remotely turn on/off pumps, lights, fans, etc.!)

It's pricey, but seems to put almost everything into 1 single package including a power outage sensor.... sort of an expensive swiss-army knife of aqua tech I guess!

Ok since you want cheap and reliable. Search x10 alarm system or rat shack has one. Your not going to use it as a wireless alarm thats not reliable. They have one hardwired zone and sell for $99. They have a supplied 12vdc wall wart. Use that to power a dpdt relay. So when you have power the relay will be on. When you loose power the relay will open. The alarm will call whatever numer you want. They store more than 1 number so program in a few. The whole thing should cost you $110.
Or you could always hack a cheap $20 telephone.

Don

Problem solved...Thanks!

Thanks, guys! Y'all provided some great info & ideas.

I'm partial to that Reliance Controls THP202 for $80!!!:)

From the Manufacturer:
Automatic Phone-Out Home Monitoring System (Power Outage, Freezing Temperatures). Keypad base unit plugs into phone line and electrical outlet. Internal temperature and power outage sensors continually monitor home for two alarm conditions: 1) temperatures below 45 degrees F, 2) power outages lasting more than either 5 or 30 minutes (users' choice :) ). Base unit calls up to three telephone numbers anywhere in North America when problem occurs. Identifies specific problem with voice message followed by user instructions for remote deactivation. Battery included. The units can be upgraded at any time with the addition of a Sump Pump/Flood Alarm sensor.
PhoneAlert Two-Sensor - Freeze or Power Failure - Home Monitoring System

Monitoring_Touch_Pad.jpg

Wall-system-w-phone.jpg

Last edited:
I bought 3 of those medical alert dialers for about 30bucks a piece, they will call up to 7 numbers i think....I'm now just looking for one of those night lights that come on when power goes out, to trigger the medical alert device.....I saw them on ebay a couple months back, but haven't seen them since....all in all parts are going to be about $60.....

Thanks, guys! Y'all provided some great info & ideas.

I'm partial to that Reliance Controls THP202 for $80!!!:)

From the Manufacturer:
Automatic Phone-Out Home Monitoring System (Power Outage, Freezing Temperatures). Keypad base unit plugs into phone line and electrical outlet. Internal temperature and power outage sensors continually monitor home for two alarm conditions: 1) temperatures below 45 degrees F, 2) power outages lasting more than either 5 or 30 minutes (users' choice :) ). Base unit calls up to three telephone numbers anywhere in North America when problem occurs. Identifies specific problem with voice message followed by user instructions for remote deactivation. Battery included. The units can be upgraded at any time with the addition of a Sump Pump/Flood Alarm sensor.
PhoneAlert Two-Sensor - Freeze or Power Failure - Home Monitoring System

Monitoring_Touch_Pad.jpg

Wall-system-w-phone.jpg

That looks like a great deal.

Don

I bought 3 of those medical alert dialers for about 30bucks a piece, they will call up to 7 numbers i think....I'm now just looking for one of those night lights that come on when power goes out, to trigger the medical alert device.....I saw them on ebay a couple months back, but haven't seen them since....all in all parts are going to be about $60.....

All you need is a 12v relay and wall wart.

Don

Back