Power Outage For Nano Tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

makeme1098

Reader
Last week's heat wave got me thinking about the possible power outage this winter. I know that generator is a common solution but some people just can't have a generators running on the valcony unattended or through out the night. I have already invested in a battery powered air pump so the water circulation is ok but I need to have a simple battery back up to run the heater. Or simply keep the water temp. above 72. I have three ideas simple enough that my wife can handle them if she was asked to do.

1. UPS battery back up.
2. Tape heat packs on the glass and cover the tank with a sleeping bag.
3. Boil water with gas stove, pour hot water in a bottle and put the bottle in the tank.

Can you share your simple ideas?

Thanks,

HT

Last edited:
Driveway de-icer pellets.
mix them with water, in a sealed container, then float it in the tank.

(that, plus properly sized/cut pieces of rigid insulation, kept my 90 gallon warm a few winters ago when my under-sized inverter died after the 3rd day w/o power.)

Note: After the CaCl "heater" I bought a nice battery backup from Xantrex http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/204/p/1/pt/32/product.asp which I highly recommend.

It can run a +200watt heater AND several mj-1200's for over an hour (much longer than the units you'll find at most home/office stores.)

So it could probably power a nano for almost a whole day...
(or you can search for bigger, DIY backup systems using car batteries on RF too)

I have one of those xantrex units on my 46g. Great peace of mind. It can easily deal with those 1-2 hour outages during the middle of the night and keep everything running. Agree that with a nano, you could probably get 8 hrs easy out of it. (Just don't hook the lights to it!)

Nice, only thing I need to hook up is 100w heater to it. Looks like Xantrex UPS is plug and play. I should buy one soon.

+1 for the xantrex power source 400. I swear by mine. Even if you have a generator, its nice having something that will automatically run some pumps if the outtage happens while your asleep or away.

I just ordered one from Amazon for a little over $150 with tax. Thanx for the recommendations.

Next, its time to get a generator for longer power outages.

g

Back