power sweep heads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

divebud

I have installed 2 power sweep 228 heads in my reef tank. They worked fine for about the 1st hour then stopped sweeping. I have pulled them apart to clean and inspect with everything ok. They will work on and off, mostly off. They have good flow. Has anyone had any experience with these power heads

Mike.

Mike-

Everyone I've ever spoken to has said that at best they work sporadically, and then eventually not at all. Hope they work out better for you.

Good Luck!

Dan

you will have to regularly clean those to keep them working. also help them along some times to get them going.

when I was doing alternating current in my tank I tried the power sweep and both that I used failed within 2 months. I swapped out for a SCWD system and it worked wonders, I since then have given up with alternating current and am currently working up a design for a 3 gallon surge.

Last edited:
before the power sweeps came to the general public I had the miss fortune of being able to test these in my tank. i would highly recommend these for for fresh soft water tanks only. I'm sorry that you had the misfortune of purchasing these. they are a wonderful idea but they need a diffrent type of drive gear to get them to work. even then the calcium buildup will stop them. go with a scwd.

I had one when I first started my tank...The head fell off the mount within a half hour, and twenty minutes later I had my money back....

I bought two of them when they first came out. They both stopped rotating in about 4 hours. In my opinion they are garbage.

Back