Powerhead Placement in new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Monkey

I am currently in the process of setting up my first salt water tank and I have a question regarding the placement of my Eheim powerheads. My tank is half of an octagon about 23 inches wide, 11 inches deep, and 18 inches tall. Also at what depth should each go and how should they face, ideally. I know a lot of this depends on any LR that's in the tank. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

How many powerheads are you thinking on adding? And also, is it actually a half of an octogon because I don't ever recall seeing one like that or is it a flat back hex like this... http://www.tropicalfishstore.com/Aquarium-flatbackhex.htm

If it is like the picture and you are running 2 powerheads, I'd probably try placing them half way down in the tank on the backwall, and pointing them like I have it in the attachment below bouncing off of the angled glass (you'll have to maximize the picture to see it clearly). In any event, you'll have to play with it some to see where is the best postion to catch all of the deadspots, but in the pic, is how I'd try it first if it were me and see how it works. Just a thought...:)

Last edited:
Yeah it's shaped exactly like that image that you have. I have two power heads. These powerheads are able to be angled as they are one of the ball looking ones. Do you think that the way that you have it in the image would be better than have them tucked into the back corners and angled toward the front of the tank?

The way you described it could work out great as well as that was exactly how I had a pair of tunzes setup in my old 75gal. They were on opposing ends of the tank and the flow met at the center of the front of the tank which added tons of random flow. Here's a pic on the placement to show you what I mean:)

Last edited:
Well I finally got it all setup. Crazy! Anyway I feel pretty good about the placement of the powerheads...my aquascaping needs a lot of work though. Once I get everything up a running with some fish, I'll have to take a photo and post it up on here. Thanks for your help Krish.

You may also want to think three-dimensionally and slightly offset their outputs vertically.

This should give you an extra "fold" of turbulance.

Well I finally got it all setup. Crazy! Anyway I feel pretty good about the placement of the powerheads...my aquascaping needs a lot of work though. Once I get everything up a running with some fish, I'll have to take a photo and post it up on here. Thanks for your help Krish.

Bummer...Sorry I missed this :oops: No problem on the help!:D I'll keep an eye out for some pics:)

I've got an old juwell flat back hex like krish has drawn.I've got my power heads set up like krish's pic and have found if you place another powerhead diagonally across the tank through the rockwork you can an extra bit of turbulance.Seems to work well.

Hope this helps.

Back