Powerheads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cameloter

Looking to add new and increased flow with wavemaker to my 125G(4X2X2) tank.Thinking about the new Hydor 12v pumps and wavemaker using 2 #6 pumps. Also considering Tunze 6105 or Vortech but can't imagine 1 would be enough and by the time you have 2 the price is significant. Any advice or actual experience with Hydor system?Thanks in advance for feed back.

1 mp40 could probaly give you more wave patterns and controllabilty. the wavemakers are nice but read up on the new ecosmart mp40 you will love them and be really mad if you dont go with those

You would need 2 mp40 in a 6' tank to get good flow. How ever you can start with 1 and add another as resources allows. Since you are going with a mixed reef you can place certain corals relative to the flow that area is receiving. You can have the corals that love flow such as SPS closer to where you have the VT mounted and work your way towards the oppsite side where the VT is mounted with corals that don't like much flow.

not true i had 1 mp40w 210g tank it it moved water pretty good i had to dial it back a little bit

Was that the only pump you have in there? I have 2 in my 270g DT. The 2 of them alone is not even enough flow for my tank I run them in tandem with 3 other tunze. I guess it all depends on how you like your flow to be. Me... I like mad chaotic flow. I feel that the MP40 does not do well lafter 4' of travel. The flow pretty much dies off after that. I can also see it working too if you have it set as a gyre flow system where the flow is constantly pushing one direction and thus generating more flow but I don't like the circular flow patteren that creates.

i had mine set to reef crest mode and the other side of my tank was the 1" return from my reflo dart. the mp40 was half way down the tank and the return line was at the top creating a ripple effect. there was a lot of turbulence with the mp40 more towards the top.

I like Tunze better hate that they are bulky but I love the flow and controlablity from them. I have 3 in my 240 and I have alot of flow I can make waves just as easy with or with out a wave box with my 6100.

Turbelle® stream 6105

•For aquariums from 200 to 2,000 litres (52 to 528 USgal.).
•Flow rate: 3,000 to 13,000 l/h (792 to 3,434 USgal./h).
•Energy consumption: max. 45 W.
•Voltage / frequency: 100 – 240 V / 50 – 60 Hz.
•Cable length: 5 m (196.8 in.).
•Dimensions: diam. 90 mm (3.5 in.), Outlet: diam. 50 mm (1.96 in.).
•Magnet Holder up to a glass thickness of 19 mm (.74 in.).

vortech

The VorTech uses the most advanced motor technology available, allowing the water flow rate to be completely controllable. Operating on tanks between 20 and 500 gallons and producing between 100 and 3,000 gallons per hour of flow, the VorTech is the most versatile flow product on the market. The VorTech is designed to operate on gap thickness from 1/8" to 3/4".

powerheads

Seems like more people favor the Vortech and 1 might be enough for my 4 ft tank. How about durability and ease of maintenance?

where is the cheapest place you have seen the mp40ES model looking to buy 3

customer service was great for vortec i bought one from a fellow reefer that claimed it was working and still under warranty. hooked it up and it worked for about 10 mins. called vortec and they sent me a replacement circuit board free of charge. when that didnt fix it they sent me a whole new one!!! for free plus an extra wetside. so now i have 3 for easy cleaning

I have about 10 of those cheap Korilla powerheads on my tanks and I have yet to have a single problem with any of them... Bulky and a little ugly, but they just keep going.

I''m having great luck with the new koralia evos, I have 2 1400s on the Apex as a wave maker and 2 750s running full time.

Just goes to show you that the saying "you get what you paid for" isn't always true. Unless what you're actually paying for is customer service and not so much a quality product :)

I'm just saying...

for what its worth, so far the magnum series they have is the only one I've played with that holds reliably on 1 1/4" acrylic.

Back