Precautions when rescaping a tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ahuntnfool

Flame Angel
So after 2 years of having our tank up and running I have decided that my original placmenty of rock is leaving a lot of unusable space. So my question is by moving the rock is there any precautions that should be taken to make sure I keep all my corals alive when I am done. At the moment I have no fish. Tank specs are 55g corner with a modified sea clone skimmer and 2 korila 2.

a couple of suggestions based on my experiences:

1) setup a separate tank/bucket/pool to hold corals as you move rock around so you don't damage them
2) don't expect this to be a quick thing....it takes time to place/stack/arrange rock to your liking
3) don't be afraid to clip corals off the rock to move around....it feels wrong, but they often do better once moved
4) consider aesthetics, flow, light, and area for corals to be placed
5) inventory what you have so you don't lose things in moving them around
6) group corals by light/flow demands
7) blowing air into the intake of a pump will help you visualize the flow patterns in the tank
8) gloves can be a real help when moving rock. I have had multiple cuts and stings when moving rock in the past. I now use the nytrile gloves...no need for an infection
9) have some water ready for a water change as you are going to stir up all kinds of crap and you will need the water change. Plus some water will be lost to your floor and clothing.
10) take your time
11) have some pictures for inspiration if you are going for a certain look. It will make it easier to achieve.

-Reed

Great list... don't know if you have sand that hasn't been disturbed especially under the rock, be prepared for a dust/mud storm. Try to get all of your animals out before you start major moving of boulders. I lost some smaller frags this way.

Thank you for your input. This raises another question (for now) I only have one set of lights for my tank and they would have to be moved over my "temporary tank" is that going to raise any problems not having any lights over my permanent tank or do I need to find some type of temp lighting for the permanent tank?

a couple of suggestions based on my experiences:

1) setup a separate tank/bucket/pool to hold corals as you move rock around so you don't damage them
2) don't expect this to be a quick thing....it takes time to place/stack/arrange rock to your liking
3) don't be afraid to clip corals off the rock to move around....it feels wrong, but they often do better once moved
4) consider aesthetics, flow, light, and area for corals to be placed
5) inventory what you have so you don't lose things in moving them around
6) group corals by light/flow demands
7) blowing air into the intake of a pump will help you visualize the flow patterns in the tank
8) gloves can be a real help when moving rock. I have had multiple cuts and stings when moving rock in the past. I now use the nytrile gloves...no need for an infection
9) have some water ready for a water change as you are going to stir up all kinds of crap and you will need the water change. Plus some water will be lost to your floor and clothing.
10) take your time
11) have some pictures for inspiration if you are going for a certain look. It will make it easier to achieve.

-Reed
Great list Reed :)

Back