Problem with leaking pipe!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tyson256031

So i have a leaking pipe right at the joint, its part of the closed loop system so it's really hard to take apart the pipes and not spill saltwater onto the carpet lol... But yes im not sure of what to use to plug the leaking spot.

are they pvc pipes or vinyl pipes? If there pvc just get some red hot glue Its pvc glue that is both primer and glue in one. Just splash it around the leak and let it dry and hopefully your leaks not that bad.

Cap them from the inside, drain, install True Union Ball valves on the bulkheads, or close to it, so if this happens again, you don't have to dig up and cap all your ports. Then re-plumb and test. Should only take 15-30 minutes, Just Kidding. Good luck

The problem is that the pipe is wet and the glue or solvent has to be able to be applied to a wet surface and still stick and dry.

the problem is i cant ap one end of it at all lol... would that reef safe epoxy work? i know it bonds and hardens under water, but will the water just drip around it while it is still in the softer stage? my neighbor said i should look for a marine grade saltwater epoxy at Mc Lendons, so i will be going down there tomorrow and be checkout out what they recccomend and see whats a good fit for the application i need it for.

Ughhh!! allways something lol :(

I've had decent luck going at things like that with reef safe plumbers putty. The ones that say they bond to pvc usually bond to acrylic and glass as well. They cure under water as well. if you can clear out the area, seal around the bulkhead, then go at the back around the nut and then where the nut meets the thread. You'll have to cut it off to remove it, but I have a couple like this and they have never leaked since.

Unions are your friends...

You're gonna have to drain it somehow I think, so it can be dry when the glue is set.

Once its off, cut it into a couple of pieces and put in some unions. Then if this happens again you can just take the segment off you need to fix.

Standard PVC Primer and Solvent (glue) will work in wet conditions, just fine. In the future, install ball valves, to enable you to shut down "zones" of your system, in case this happens again.
+1 There is off the shelf "wet locations" PVC glue at any hardware store.

Ok well it looks like the glue I used was bad because now i have a few leaks. So I'm going to be draining the tank completely and then re doing the entire closed loop system.

I'm debating using flex tubing for all of it, would that be advisable or no? Does anybody have any input on that? They would all be fastened to the joints with clamps so they cant slip. I'm sick of using PVC and the glue stuff.

You can use spa flex or sch 40 pvc. Both have pro's and con's. One is cost, and the other is time consuming. I use a ton of both, and it depends on the situation. I like the rigid sch 40 PVC for closed systems. I think you need to just take your time, and use fresh primer and glue, make your cuts on a chop saw, de-burr everything, measure 2 times and cut once and get after it!

You really need to design it to be able to do maintaince on it. At the bulkhead use a true union ball valve, and buy good ones. They are not cheap, but neither is having your tank on the floor! I have had customers take my reccomendations, and spend 1500.00 on plumbing all the time. Do it right and cry once.

Just my .02.

If I can help in any way, PM me, Jason

Man i wish you lived closer lol i would have you come over and give me a hand with all of it.

I'm debating getting rid of this full setup and just getting a red sea max 60 gallon or whatever the larger size is lol so if anyone knows a yer for a brand new 120 full setup then please let me know!

Back