problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

there are clear anemone poping up all over my tank are they bad

They are Aiptasia or glass anemones. They are a pest which you will want to work to get rid of. There are a few methods I have read on this site, but as I have just started my tank and have no signs of them yet I have not tried them. I suggest listing the contents of your livestock currently in your tank so the more experienced reefers on here will be able to suggest which method to use.

It's a good idea to learn as much about your tank, in order to give it the best care. Knowing what kinds of fish you have is quite important.

As for the anemones, they are most likely, Aiptasia. They are a pest anemone that can sting corals. Do you have corals? If not, do you plan to in the future? If both answers are "No," the aiptasia aren't really a concern. If either answer is "yes," you need to learn how to deal with aiptasia. There are many remedies that have varying degrees of success, from chemical treatments, such as Kalk paste, Joe's Juice, boiling water or Aiptasia X, to biological controls, such as Berghia Nudibranchs, Copper Banded Butterfly fish and Peppermint Shrimp.

what kind of corals? I plan on keeping a copperbanded butterfly in my next 180 gal tank. Some people have problems some don;t but they'll rid you of aptasia

I would think you should be fine to get a butterfly. Just watch it and see if it nips. regardless it will clear your pest anenomes.

You can pull out any rock that is infested and does not have corals on it and boil it for an hour. Or you can mix up kalk paste or buy Joes Juice and melt the little bastards. I used Joes Juice because all my rock was mounted in place.
Here is a link on kalk paste:
http://www.garf.org/index_archive.html

My copperband cleaned my tank out of aptasia in about a week, but they are hit or miss like any livestock remedy. Not to mention they have a fairly poor surviveability rate for the most part, though mine has taken quite well to frozen foods.

Depending on the Tangs you currently have, and the size of your tank, you may not be able to add a Copperbanded Butterfly. Not only could it possibly overload your tank, again, depending on the size of your tank, and current Tangs. Tangs could also bully it very badly, keeping it from eating and causing it's death. Sometimes Tangs aren't the nicest critters in our tanks...lol. Usually, their aggression is aimed at other times, but it can also be aimed at Butterfly fish, and commonly is.

Mix a strong concentration of kalk to rodi water. About 1tsp kalk to half cup of water. mix thoroughly. Load the kalk into a plastic syringe. It'll be thick and sink in the water. Turn off all your powerheads, pumps etc. Carefully depress syringe over top of Aptasia allowing the paste to fall into the little buggers. They will grab it as if it were food. Nudge them so they retract and ingest it. They are now dieing and will be gone soon. Do not blast them and be careful to avoid the paste settling on any corals, inverts, etc etc.

Peace! :)

Kalk paste, Joes juice, boiling water are the best bets.

Do NOT buy any fish just to eat pests. Hard on the reefs, and they are not easy to keep for beginners.

Love boiling water... Take a large syringe (feed store) boil up some water, and hit them with that, they die pretty instantly ;) My advice, remove the item that has them IMMEDIATELY those things go through your sump, invade your refugium etc, so having 0 is the goal.. I've got a mess myself right now... can you tell.

Back