Problems with water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmp21677

Did you touch my drum set
So this tank has been up and going for over a year and up until about six months ago I had no problems. I moved the tank and since have had major problems. No coral seems to want to live and I can't figure out why. Salinity is around 26 ph 8.3 no trace of nitrates,nitrites etc. The only thing I haven't tested for (because I can't find the tests) are calcium and alk. I use Ro water (brand new unit) an don't have a sand bed. Roscoe had been holding corals for me for about 6 months and one was dead in a day once it hit my tank. Clams and fish are fine, SPS not so much. Lighting is a 250 watt metal halide. Equipment is deltec mce600 skimmer, waveysea for return and k3 for movement. Oh one more thing this is a 40 breeder. If I can't figure this out soon I'm done!

hey jmp i have a calcium test set that i dont need anymore and have u checked ur phosphates and hows the amonia looking at and do u have a mag test kit

AM is good, I haven't checked phosphates. I would love to buy your test kit.

Joe don't tell me that acan died! What are you doing as far as your maintenance? It took me a bit to get to know my 40b. I just kept everything real simple and basic. Be regular on your maintenance don't make too many changes. I do a couple other things but you already know my routine.

So my great wife found my test kits (surprise) and my calcium is about 370 and alk wont show up on the full test but on the half dose it's about 7.7. I don't know why I can't get the color to change on the full dose tests.

I'm doing weekly 5 gallon water changes trying to get it right. No it wasn't the acan. How does your's look?

Alkalinity changing to much ? The calcium is also low but your fresh saltwater batch if Instant ocean is usually low.The alkalinity changes faster than the calcium and has a more dramatic effect.

Get it slowly up to 8-11 dkh+ then leave it alone for 48 hours then test again.

This site tells you how much to add andhow to adjust a reactor very usefull!

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Did u two end up snagging that passion fruit acan :) If you would like to share I would definitely like to score a piece of that. Anyhow. I would suggest double checking alk, I have found that if I let that particular element fluctuate, my SPS start to go down fast. R u using Seachem Reef Salt? If so, Alk reading might be slightly off by ~1 degree. Also, a great KH test kit is the Elos brand kit. Real easy to use, just count drops and note when the color changes. Also its pretty reasonably priced $19 at Barrier.

It is a salifert test kit. Not sure why it won't read the full dose! I'll try dripping in a little mixture to get it up to around 9.

So between last night and today I was able to get my alk up to a little higher level. My ph never really dropped very much and it's now around 9. Let's see what happens.

alk test

It is a salifert test kit. Not sure why it won't read the full dose! I'll try dripping in a little mixture to get it up to around 9.

It's my understanding from the instructions that when you test on a half dose you actually have to double the results. Your alk sounds like it is 14+. That is why you can not get it to change on a full dose.

No, that is with doubling the results. Im not sure why it won't change, even with the solution they give you to test the kit.

No, that is with doubling the results. Im not sure why it won't change, even with the solution they give you to test the kit.

Well That is crazy that it wont change on a full test, and I am glad your result is with the doubling. How old is the test kit. I had a similar problem with my MG test kit and I got my new one out and it tested okay. It could be getting old or contaminated?

Back