Procedure to start up a tank w/sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nemodad

Hi Everyone,

Well it's been a few months of slowly building a new reef setup.

I know this is a stupid question, but this is the first time i use a sump and i'm wondering what the best way to start everything up
and get the water level right?

Just want to start off on the right foot, any suggestions?

Thanks

Do a test run with fresh water. Fill the tank up to the overflow, fill the sump with enough water to pump up and overflow into the overflow. May want to make sure the inlet ( water pumped from sump to tank) is not to deep. If the inlet is to deep when the pump shuts off it could overflow your sump by back siphoning

Have you drilled a hole in the DT return to stop back siphoning?

My tank total volume is over 100 gallons. I just filled it up with salt water and fired it up.... My sump is huge though. Guess if your sump is small and you turn it on and the sump goes dry, you could always just shut it off and add a bit more water.

Ok so fill up tank to overflow, let's say fill up sump halfway up the baffles and let er rip?
My tank is a 75gal with a Gl*******s 1500gph kit and my sump is a 30 gallon that i partioned with baffles and my return pump is a mag 9.5.
I haven't drilled a hole in the outlet yet as i plan running a few test by shutting off the return pump and see how much capacity my sump can handle.

hah, alot of these sites have a sensoring program. someone must have put that word in. You can make is display whatever when the word comes up (made for some good fun on a forum I used to run, could change up nouns, etc. haha)

What is the word you were trying to type? can space out the letters to get through...

You should drill to limit back syphon. It looks great for a few minutes when you shut off the pump bu the back syphon generally waits until you reposition the returns and go out of town.

To set the water level you need to

A, turn the return octane wait until the water stops moving. Fill the tank to the highest level you are comfortable with.

B, turn on the return and let levels stabilize. This mark is the highest water level when the tank is running.

For a reef baffles are great for setting the water legal and make a nice space for an auto top off system.

Pictures?

1) fill DT untill water flows over the overflows and into the sump untill return pump has enough water to start the water cycle into the tank and back into the sump withought much air being sucked up by the pump.
2) turn on return pump for about 2-5 seconds to get water returning to the DT.
3) let the system back siphon and wait for it to stop draining back to sump and make a mental note on where the water line in the sump is at this point.
4) Turn the return pump back on and let it start pumping the water back over the overflows into the sump again.
5) again turn of the return pump and let the system back siphon fully again and see if it fills to where it did the 1st time. (if not. continue to do steps 4-5 until you have an average water height)
6) turn the system on fully and add water to the sump until you have no issues of the return pump sucking in air.

at this point you'll know your absolute minimum water level with the system running. I usually mark my sump 1/2-1 inch above this point.

7) turn the return pump off and let the system back siphon 1 more time.
8) fill sump to the highest you ever want it to be.
9) turn the return pump back on and wait a few minutes for the system to level out any surging
10) mark your waterline in the sump as max water level so you'll never put more than the system can handle into the sump on accident ;)

11) sit back and enjoy your new sump'd TD :D

Hope this helps,
Casey

Back