Protein Skimmer, maybe need a mod?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Hey guys, I wanted to see what you thought of this protein skimmer I'm using. I have a feeling its not up to par....

My system is about 120 gallons (75 DT, 20 fuge, 50 sump (but only part full.)

The skimmer I am running is:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife...in_Skimmers-Coralife-ES33000-FIPSISNW-vi.html

It has a ton of micro bubbles, but only in the top half of the tube, the bottome stays pretty clear. I'm skimming out maybe an inch per week in the collection cup. Oh, and my tank currently has only 3 fish in it, 2 green chromis and a rainfordi goby. For corals, I have maybe 30 zoas, 20 polyps, a few softies, sps and lps. They all look happy, but I'm worried about the size of the skimmer.

I hooked an air pump to the air intake, but that stopped the bubbles completely, so immediately removed it.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this? Are there any mods I can do to improve its effeciency, or should I be picking up another skimmer?

The slot I have in my sump that I could put a new skimmer in is about 8.5" by 10-12". The 8.5" would put it tight up against my bubble wall.

I'm a bit broke as I just ordered a neptune Apex controller, so if I need to replace this, something with a good price tag would be great.

rob

Oh, the one I'm running is the 65 gallon version. My brother gave it to me when I went home to collect random fish tank equipment before I set up my tank.

Would be awesome if there was a mod I could do to this to get it up to par.

It is mounted in my sump, and the return pump (eheim 1262) is doing about 650 gph at head pressure.

yea, thats what I was afraid of. I think I need a new one.

Hopefully the 8.5" width I left in my sump is enough to hold something better.

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced skimmer that would fit this hole? I'll search the forums

I did build my sump. I actually have 4 baffles in place, with an inch and a half spacing. I could pull one of them out to get 10" space if it is needed. I was thinking 8.5" was enough space to allow for expansion, but maybe not. I imagine if I used some force, I could remove it, as it is plexiglas baffles in a glass tank.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to see what I can get used off the equipment forums too.

rob

If you are using plxi on glass it should come out rather easy. Just use a razor to cut it out. I just sold both of my skimmers that would keep your system nice and clean.

I have plenty of height (custom stand), so its all a matter of footprint. Seems the first link you put up would fit great. I'll take some more precise measurements when I get home. Sounds like I should get the PoS I have replaced asap

You don't need to replace it asap. You just have to do more water changes to aid it in nutrient removal. You can get by with what you have but it just makes things a little easier when you have equipment that can releive you from constant maintenance. That is just the way I think though. Some don't mind those chores. You can be rather successfull skimmerless. It is just to much work to go that route though IMHO when you have things that will aid you along the way. I was pretty successful with a 40b SPS dominated tank with just a generic Bak Pak skimmer. I just had to be anal with water changes. So if you don't have the resourcees ATM to get a better skimmer. You don't have to get in now. Just hold out and you will find some great deals on the for sale forums.

OK, cool. I was thinking about getting one anyway. Maybe its a good use of my tax refund.

I've been checking out the SWC website. These guys are local, right?

I see they have a skimmer for a 160 in both cone and cylindrical. What are the advantages of the 2 different types?

It appears the 160 is a good size for me, as it says it does 125 with a heavy bioload. Since my DT is only 75, seems a good size. (although there is a 20 fuge, should that be considered? Also 30 gal or so in the sump, but would think that wouldn't be considered for any bioload.) Is there advantages to getting something higher rated though? Or is that overkill and just going to be an unnecessary drain on electricity?

I'm pretty uneducated on skimmers, but seems you know them pretty well. Seems every skimmer I've used has been a PoS. Last tank I had (FO) about 10 years ago I had an even crappier skimmer than the one I'm currently using.

Thanks for helping me out roscoe :)

rob

I'm no expert on skimmers but have a good idea what skimmers to stay away from. I can reccomend what skimmers are good but I can't really go into real details on how they operate. All I know is that the cone skimmers has a smoother transition through the neck I believe and is more efficient but the cylinder types are great as well. Cones are jist the new hot stuff for the skimmer department.

SWC is in Canada however you can go through Luke at Reeffiltration.com. he is in the states. Luke is the expert on skimmers and I'm sure he will guide you to a great one. You can PM him. He goes by LUKE on here.

Last edited:
so, 75g DT...

the SWC 160 cone would do you quite well,
not quite as powerful as the extreme 160/200 cylinder skimmer, but that body(160) is a little small for the power from that pump anyway.

So, the SWC 160 cone gets 600lph @ 23w., which is more than enough air injection for your size tank, then it being a cone shape with bubble plate makes it have less backpressure on the pump, and the cone shape also allows proteins/nutrients to move up the foam column and into the skimmer cup easier. so even though it's less power than the SWC extreme 160, it's a good match for your system, add the fact that it's only $249 and your good to go.

on the other hand, the sicce pump on the extreme160/200, "mini" cone, and now new SWC 180 cone skimmer is a more powerful pump consuming the same watts the atmann on the 120/160 cone skimmers(900-1100lph air injection @ 23w), so the best of both worlds would be the SWC 180 cone skimmer w/ improved pinwheel and venturi on the sicce pump, and the skimmer would be able to be used on systems as large as 180g . available in a few weeks, it will have a pricetag of $369, wich is an insane deal for such a nicely designed cone skimmer with sicce pump.

...and yeah, luke @ reefiltration is great to deal with, offers excellent customer service. highly recommended.

Last edited:
OK, I posted on the equipment forums for a used one. I'll wait and watch, and check out the 180 extreme cone when it comes out. Might be worth the extra money for a more energy effecient pump.

What makes the "mini" cone mini? It appears to have a bigger footprint than the 160 extreme (160 is 8.5"X10"X21" if I remember right, where the "mini" is 10.5X10.5X23)

I'm also trying to figure out what will fit in my sump. The mini says it needs to sit in 6-10" of water.

Currently, my water level is at 14 or 15" in my fill chamber of the sump, the tank is 18" tall, and the cabinet it is in is 25" or 25.5" tall. Having trouble visualizing if it would fit or not.

I emailed SWC to see if they have a manual with a diagram so I can try to figure it out.

rob

there's nothing mini about the mini cone...lol it's a cone skimmer for up to 180-200g...
if your going to get a cone skimmer with a sicce pump, then wait for the 180 cone, I think it's a better design than the mini cone, and like I said, the 160 cone will do you good too.
as far as sump water levels and skimmer height, I would make an eggcrate stand to sit the skimmer on, to see if you cant get it sitting in 9"-11" without smaking into the ceiling of the stand.

so, 75g DT...

the SWC 160 cone would do you quite well,
not quite as powerful as the extreme 160/200 cylinder skimmer, but that body(160) is a little small for the power from that pump anyway.

So, the SWC 160 cone gets 600lph @ 23w., which is more than enough air injection for your size tank, then it being a cone shape with bubble plate makes it have less backpressure on the pump, and the cone shape also allows proteins/nutrients to move up the foam column and into the skimmer cup easier. so even though it's less power than the SWC extreme 160, it's a good match for your system, add the fact that it's only $249 and your good to go.

on the other hand, the sicce pump on the extreme160/200, "mini" cone, and now new SWC 180 cone skimmer is a more powerful pump consuming the same watts the atmann on the 120/160 cone skimmers(900-1100lph air injection @ 23w), so the best of both worlds would be the SWC 180 cone skimmer w/ improved pinwheel and venturi on the sicce pump, and the skimmer would be able to be used on systems as large as 180g . available in a few weeks, it will have a pricetag of $369, wich is an insane deal for such a nicely designed cone skimmer with sicce pump.

...and yeah, luke @ reefiltration is great to deal with, offers excellent customer service. highly recommended.

Question Skimmerwhisperer...I have the Extreme 160 which sits atop the Sicce needle wheel pump; are you saying that the Sicce pump is too powerful for the body of the skimmer? The reason I ask is because I have it running right now on my 65g that I just set up. It has been running for 5 days(today is the 5th) and even when running the skimmer 100% open, it is overflowing with bubbles into the cup. I have no way of turning it down at all. It's almost like there are too many bubbles in the skimmer!! I have never seen so much reaction in a skimmer chamber at all. Since the overflow is so consistent I haven't been getting any skimmate and I have to just let the cup drain back into the sump since it would literally empty the tank if I had it draining to anything else....I don't want to hi-jack the thread but I thought it was relatable.

Alright, awesome. The word mini was confusing me.

So, for example, the 160 cone says 6-9" water, and has deminsions:

9*7*20.58

So if my water level is at 14", and the bottom of the skimmer is 8" below water, that would have the top at (14-8+20.58) 26.58".

Is that correct? Or are they measuring not to the bottom of the skimmer, but to the top of the pump or the air intake (which would give me significantly more room to work with)?

The deminsions of the 160 cone look very nice for fitting into the space I have, and the price tag is also looking pretty nice to me.

rob

Thanks a lot for the suggestions/discussion guys. I talked to luke at reeffiltration, and placed an order for the SWC 160 cone last night. Can't wait to replace this toy skimmer thats currently in my sump. the 160 looks like a great skimmer, and the footprint is perfect to fit into my sump chamber.

Cheers!
rob

Got my SWC 160 cone in last night and got it all hooked up and breaking in.

Wow.

During the first 10 hours after plugging it in, it has already skimmed more protein than my old skimmer would do in a week.

You will be amazed at how well these cone skimmers work. I have had mines hooked up since last Thurday. I was waiting for the 1 week mark to take pics of it. Looking at it this morning the CC is 65-75% full of dark smelly goo.

Back