Protein Skimmer set up issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ratfish

I have been trying to get my external recirculating skimmer up and running, but right when I think I'm there I have a new issue. All of the leaks have been fixed and addressed but there is now a new issue while its running.

Right now I am having trouble dialing in a constant water flow. In the cup the water rises and falls and won't hold steady. Once I thought I had it the water nearly overflowed during the night.

What I think is happening, (since the skimmer is used and didn't have some of the return pipes I think it should have came with), the pipe I built is slightly higher than the level of of the pipe that feeds the skimmer from the power head. Pressure builds, and makes the return suddenly flow faster water comes in. So water is not coming in and going in at the same rate. Kind of a teeter-totter affect of build and release.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get the pressure to equalize. Is it the pipe levels, since they are not quite manufacture specs? That would be fairly easy to fix. Other than that I am at a loss and not confident in having it running with a possibility of flooding my basement.

Thanks.

what type and size of skimmer is it, also a pict might help as other may have the same set up

Back