Protein Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That would be the last skimmer I would suggest. There are many many better skimmers out there around the same price.

Thanks. Is there any brand you would recommend around $250

I ran an Urchin Pro on an 84g system for 4 years up until a week ago. I always had problems with water quality. It skimmed ok but not the best even with lots of maintenance. I just bought a msx160 and it started pulling junk from an empty tank in just a couple hours. Its right in your range at $269.

I ran an Urchin Pro on an 84g system for 4 years up until a week ago. I always had problems with water quality. It skimmed ok but not the best even with lots of maintenance. I just bought a msx160 and it started pulling junk from an empty tank in just a couple hours. Its right in your range at $269.

Same one I recommended above.

Keep in mind that these skimmers have a somewhat large foot print. AquaC skimmer works for me, but not with the pumps that come standard and their biggest advantage is small footprint same goes with Tunze. Need to oversize the pump and it will work unless there is above average bioload. If your tank has heavy bioload then a larger skimmer mentioned above will work better. With a 20 gal sump there is not a whole lot of room to play with especially if you have refugium. It all depends what you want to have in that sump, or you can always upgrade to a larger sump and then you don't have to worry about a foot print limitations.

Back