Puffer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almondsaz

I haven't found one, but I thought it is worth asking....is there such a thing as a reef compatable puffer? I only keep softies and was wondering if there is any kind of puffer you can keep that won't totally destroy the reef? I see a lot of pics of peoples tanks with softies and there is a puffer.

Thanks for your help.

Blue spot figi puffer

I,ve found this puffer to be the best fish for a softies tank.If it goes after your shrimp,than smack it up side its head[gently with a nerf net] and like a good boy hhe will learn thats a no no

i had a valentines puffer in softy tank had no problems i wouldnt think a puffer would eat a coral like a porcupine i was going to put one in a softy tank

sr63b.gif
[SIZE=-2]The Fiji Puffer, also called the Blue Dot Puffer, Blue Dot Toby, or Blue Spotted Sharp-nosed Puffer. Should be kept in a 50 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure. Caution with inverts such as snails and crabs, as It will eat them when hungry. It likes a varied diet of meaty foods such as squid, krill, clams, and shrimp .[/SIZE]

Keep a close eye on your shrimp, and be ready to move him if the shrimp or coral are more important. I think that if you keep him well feed they should be fine though.

good luck

-augustus

I have a porcupine puffer with a cleaner shrimp and snails. He doesn't seem to have an interest in them now but I except they could become dinner. As for corals I don't know.

Last edited:
I,ve found this puffer to be the best fish for a softies tank.If it goes after your shrimp,than smack it up side its head[gently with a nerf net] and like a good boy hhe will learn thats a no no

You mind explaining that? How can this be of any use to anyone. Please explain?:confused:

Puffer training

Puffers are alot like dogs,in the since that they can be trained by waveing the opposite end of the net at them when they are doing unfavorable things.Eventually all you will have to do is point at it through the glass and he will retreat.Sit,stay,roll over and other such dog tricks might take a little extra time. I saw this on recently that was obvously trained to stay and sit.

I think if you have to frighten a particular fish by waving a net at it (while at the same time you'll probably frighten the other fish in the tank) to attempt at teaching the fish what he should or shouldn't do or what other tank inhabitants he shouldn't mess with, then not much sense in having that fish in the tank because obviously it is not meant for that type of setup...Pretty simple if you ask me. Hitting a fish to teach it is nonsense!

Last edited:
Huh?

Thats like saying an old knuckle head Harley isn,t worth haveing because it leaks oil.I have not seen many fish that would compare to the blue spot puffer,in personality,coloration,shape,or activeness.So if a random reminder is all that is needed to have a nice one,than that last statement couldn't be more wrong.

Huh?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats like saying an old knuckle head Harley isn,t worth haveing because it leaks oil..

No, I think it's more like saying some people shouldn't be members on certain forums when they blabber non-sense all day after repeated warnings! Not sure what you are getting at these days with some of these posts, but I think it is about time you start re-thinking something's before you post. I mean who tells a newbie to hit their fish with the back of a net to teach it not to touch certain corals or shrimp??:confused: If it is in their nature, then you don't mix them...Plain and simple. If it is a must that a person has a particular fish that doesn't go so well with other inhabitants, then the most sensible thing to do would be to tell a person to try it at their own risk (while warning them of the possible outcome) or tell them to put it in a system designed for them where there is no temptation...Not hit the fish over the head! Get it together man...

We're not talking Dolphins here, we're talking tiny little fish in a smaller glass box, also this is so not a fish to keep with other reef fish unless your feeding them to it. I have to agree with Krish that your posting more nonsense as usual. I'm sure (also been told by so many lately) by now most members here that read your post gets a really good laugh.:lol: For someone that has been in the business slightly more than a year, posting these sort of things is silly, goes to show how much real experience you have, sad thing is someone might actually try this. :(

Fish can be trained

This is actually cutting edge ways of thinking,and if you would of noticed i said ''nerf net'' meaning something soft or usually just in its close proximity.Actually what im trying to say is fish are trainable and adaptable.If you want to have a aquarium that only contains fish and other livestock that some one else says is ok well than thats just sad.I've seen aquariums in differant places that would be less than stress free enviroments with fish that never know when it's going to be a lights on day or maybe a no lights day.Aquariums that seperate lobbies from play rooms for children.Even aquariums in the mall with people shuffleing by,kids tapping on the glass,flashes from aquariums,or what ever.Point is saltwater fish, or fresh will learn to addapt to what enviroment they happen to find themselves in.And puffers ill live harmonously with corals and inverts,and what you can or cannot have in your aquarium is only decided by how big of an aquarium you own verses how big a certain fish or how many fish you have in it.This will transulate to how deticated you are to your water change ritual.Most of the people who are finding my post offinsive need to lighten up and get out doors more often.So people by all means don't smack your puffer[litteraly],but do take control of your own aquarium.Let your aquarium and it's inhabitants adjust to you and your life style,not the other way around,and dont be affraid to try things that are not ''safe'' or not recomended.In the end you'll end up with exactly what you wanted and it will be all yours just how you wanted it.Or you could do what all the books and book recorders say is the right''safe'' recomended thing to do and you get just that.........................lighten up enjoy yourselves,and most of all don't let someone else tell you what or how you can put in your aquarium.

if you would of noticed i said ''nerf net'' meaning something soft or usually just in its close proximity

Actually you said, "Smack it upside it's head" in post 3 which implies contact. Regrdless of contact or not, soft or hard, waving something at a fish will startle it and anything else in the tank not only just that fish. Just approaching the tank will startle some fish or even fast movements. Why do you think they tell you at certain places like LFS' not to tap on the glass??? If they are afraid that you will startle the fish where the fish are exposed to people all day on an everday basis then how much more afraid will your fish be at home where they don't get this sort of exposure? Also, how does your method of "smacking a fish" work if the fish eats a shrimp while you are to work or you come home and meet a nipped coral? Do you smack the puffer anyways and say, "I know it was you now knock it off" ??? Think man..Lte's just say that "If" your method actually did work, it couldn't be effective unless you sat infront of the tank 24/7 which no-one here has the time to do.

If you want to have a aquarium that only contains fish and other livestock that some one else says is ok well than thats just sad

So because you say it is fine to put a puffer in a tank makes it ok?? What makes your advice any different than anyone elses? People offer advice on personal experience, facts, and success rates like you have, and the fact that you know the puffer will potentially mess with other livestock or corals, you should know better than advising a newbie to the hobby to try it. Look at which section you are posting in...It's not the advanced section, but New to Reefkeeping. Poeple aren't looking for potential problems here which is why they asked. Taking on a fish that can be a challenge should be let to more experienced hobbyist.

...and dont be affraid to try things that are not ''safe'' or not recomended.In the end you'll end up with exactly what you wanted and it will be all yours just how you wanted it.

most of all don't let someone else tell you what or how you can put in your aquarium.

That's what we are talking about right there man...You blabber stuff and don't even think about what you are saying! You are telling people new to the hobby not to be afraid to try stuff that are not recommended or are not safe! This is how tanks crash and people end up wasting all there time and money. What kind of advice is that??? Seriously man...Find somewhere else to post this nonsense.

Last edited:
BTW "ecobalance", I'm closing yet another thread because of you temporarily which is un-forunate for "Almondsaz" and will leave it up to RF staff/administrators if they would like to re-open it or what they wish to do with it. The reason why is because I don't think it is right to let the thread continue with you offering members new to the hobby the type of advice you are providing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back