Pump intake

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mungus

I have a Gen X Pcx 40 pump. I know you should never restrict the intake of a pump. My question is can i put a 90 degree elbow on the intake of the pump? It bearly fits with my current sump. When I upgrade my sump I will not have room for it unless I can put an elbow on it.

I have a 90 on mine and the end of it points down to about 1" off the bottom to help with bubbles going in. If you are concerned get an fitting to make it so the 90 can be one size larger than the input.

I got to thinking about this, and now I see your problem better. I was confused for a sec. I would get an adapter to make the intake one size bigger. then 90, then to sump. It will be fine. Inside the sump is where my 90 was, connected to the bulkhead, turned down to help with microbubbles. Before my recent sump swap, I was running my pump wit a 90 though, of the same size, and did not see a problem.

Ken

Thanks Ken. :) I have made too many mistakes that have hit me in the pocket book before I knew about reeffrontiers. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make another stupid mistake.

One important consideration is to extend the 90 out as far as possible from the inlet. Otherwise the impeller will cavatate.

The problem with restricting the intake of a pump is cavatation. You can restrict it some as long as the pump does not cavitate it will not hurt the pump. Now with that said putting one 90 elbow should not cause enough restriction to cause the pump to cavitate, unless the pump is pumping against zero head pressure. I would still suggest though to maximize flow and minimize frictional looses to use as large of plumbing as you can easly do. Go at least 1 size larger than the pump intake/ouput. So if your pump has 1 inch in and out go with atleast 1 1/4 pipes to reduce friction. If the pump has 1 inch in and 1/2 out, still go with 1 1/4 for max flow (this would be more of a pressure pump).

Kim

Back