pump on my 5 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
ive had my little nano up and going for a couple weeks now but finally drilled two inch and a half holes in so i could plumb it into my 75 gallons sump. My problem is it doesnt drain as fast as the water comes in. so i was wondering if i put a ball valve on the pump to slow it down if that would be ok or not? i do plan on drilling a third hole in it two outlets with one inlet. im looking for a temp fix for a week or so

ive had my little nano up and going for a couple weeks now but finally drilled two inch and a half holes in so i could plumb it into my 75 gallons sump. My problem is it doesnt drain as fast as the water comes in. so i was wondering if i put a ball valve on the pump to slow it down if that would be ok or not? i do plan on drilling a third hole in it two outlets with one inlet. im looking for a temp fix for a week or so

you cant get the water to drain fast enough through a 1.5'' hole? in a 5gallon? How many gph is the pump? that just doesnt add up to me???
you should be ale to drain 2000gph through a 1.5'' drain and that is only a 5g tank it should have no more than 200gph going through it...

matt

Last edited:
Its a Taam Rio® HyperFlow 6hf. its rated for 350gph at one foot and its pumping up thru bout 6 feet of hose. and i was a little miss leading with the hole size. yes the holes are 1.5 inch but its only a 3/4 inch bulk head that uses 3/4 inch hose.

just put a ball valve on the pump and be done with it....

not as long as it is on the outlet side of the pump...
Never restrict a pump from the inlet....

Back