Pump recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I have a 60 gallon tank and plan to add a 20 gallon sump. I'm thinking on having around 600 gph flow. Which external return pump would be good for my setup? any brand in particular?

How much head is there going to be? What size pipe are you planning to use on the return?

This will help in determining the size at least. Not sure which one are better, But a lot seem to like the Iwaki's.

If you want an external pump that can also be used internally Carlos, I'd recommend either The Quiet One 3000 which will give you 780gph @ 0ft and about 600 gph @ 4ft http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=LG-ARP440103&Category_Code=quietone or either the Mag7 or Mag950 depeding on how high you need to pump the water as the Mag7 will only give you 475 gph @ 4ft (700gph @ 0ft) and the Mag950 will give you 800 gph @ 4ft (950 gph @ 0ft) but you can always put a ball valve on the return of the Mag950 to slow it down even more if you are only pumping up 4ft and want to slow it down to 600gph. The same goes for any pump:)

interanl is wiser, Sedra 7000 or 9000 would work as well and would give you a couple more options as far using external as well.

I would go with the iwaki myself. IMO internal is not wiser. Internally you are introducing heat, and risk introducing electricity through the pump.

-Josh-:cool:

I would go with the iwaki myself. IMO internal is not wiser. Internally you are introducing heat, and risk introducing electricity through the pump.

-Josh-:cool:

Iwaki's are hot and produce lots of heat.:) I just removed mine and installed a mag9. The chiller hasnt turned on for three days vs every 30 minutes.
Really I wouldnt push 600gph through a 20g sump. I'd look for other flow methods and us the return as a return.

Don

i think the ehiem 1260 would be one of the best options. Or I would do a mag 7 because that is what I have and I am cool.

External pumps should run cooler than a comparable sized internal pump. They are basically the same thing except one is totally water cooled and one is water/air cooled. For what its worth I run a Iwaki 30 for a return and my chiller has only come on once in the past three days, it has been noticeably cooler around here.

But, since I don't even think that you will find an dedicated external pump that goes down to 600 g/hr I would check out the Ehiems. They are pricey, but well made, very energy efficient, no external steal parts-rust, can do internal or external.

Aside from that the Mag series seem to be the most popular choice.

You can also check out the link below to get some specs on a few popular pumps.
http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/

Jeff

External pumps should run cooler than a comparable sized internal pump. They are basically the same thing except one is totally water cooled and one is water/air cooled. For what its worth I run a Iwaki 30 for a return and my chiller has only come on once in the past three days, it has been noticeably cooler around here.

http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/

Jeff

The little Iwaki's are water cooled through the impellor and have no fan at the back of the motor. They have a solid plate with a hole for the cord. They are designed to run HOT Iwaki states this in the instruction manual.

Don

Maybe the japanese one is different but the impellor and volute are completly sealed off from the motor. Water never touches the heat from the motor, unlinke a fully submersed pump. If you touch the steal Iwaki 30 body, right no fans on 30s and below, it is very hot to the touch. That body is acting as a heat sink that is air cooled instead of water cooled. I also have a small fan blowing on the steal body which helps the pump run cooler and is more quiet than the Iwaki's with built in fans.

Maybe the japanese one is different but the impellor and volute are completly sealed off from the motor. Water never touches the heat from the motor, unlinke a fully submersed pump. If you touch the steal Iwaki 30 body, right no fans on 30s and below, it is very hot to the touch. That body is acting as a heat sink that is air cooled instead of water cooled. I also have a small fan blowing on the steal body which helps the pump run cooler and is more quiet than the Iwaki's with built in fans.

No, if you take the iwaki apart you will see that the impellor assembly is recess into the motor housing thus making the magnet turn. The water flowing throught the recessed assembly is supposed to cool the unit and keep the impellor from overheating. The heat is conducted into the water and is dispersed via the water. This is why they state in the manual that a chiller device may be required if the pump raises the water temp to high. Quiet is another story, the larger units are loud.

Don

I still have to disagree. Maybe its time to start a sumersed vs external thread :D All magnetic drives will create friction and will need to be water cooled/lubricated. The housing made out of HDMI/Polysomething and is a poor heat conductor. The Iwaki 30 is around a 110 watts and about 160g/hr more than a mag 9.5 at 93 watts. Both of these pumps will have to have the impeller chilled/lubricated. Both motors will also produce heat. The submersed mags heat has nowhere to go but directly into the water while the Iwaki is dissipating the bulk of its motor heat to the outside air and a very small amount through the HDMI impellor assembly.

I still have to disagree. Maybe its time to start a sumersed vs external thread :D All magnetic drives will create friction and will need to be water cooled/lubricated. The housing made out of HDMI/Polysomething and is a poor heat conductor. The Iwaki 30 is around a 110 watts and about 160g/hr more than a mag 9.5 at 93 watts. Both of these pumps will have to have the impeller chilled/lubricated. Both motors will also produce heat. The submersed mags heat has nowhere to go but directly into the water while the Iwaki is dissipating the bulk of its motor heat to the outside air and a very small amount through the HDMI impellor assembly.

Sound good doesnt it. But a misconception, consult the user manual. Aside from the fact that they draw way more than the rated amps of .8 closer to 1.8 I'm not arguing which is better submersed or non. Just making the point that small Iwaki's are hot and watt for watt heat the water more. This is part of their design. I sent mine back seven times each time Iwaki said the same thing. "Either get a cooler pump or get a chiller" I opted for the chiller. But since removing the Iwaki I could safely remove my chiller. They definatly are good pumps but will cost you in other areas. The mags are noisy but they are cheap and the eheim I hear is good but dont have one yet. The only pumps that will not heat the water are direct drive pumps such as the ampmasters.

Don

Back