Pumps & Power Outage Help.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

07FocusST

Hey everyone,

I just got thru a nice power outage of 2 days long. I lost a few of my live stock including a Scopas Tang, 6 Line Wrasse, Peppermint Shrimp, Domino Damsel and a Sally Light Foot Crab.

After the power returned I noticed that my MAG7 return pump vibrates very harshly and seizes up. I usually have to take it apart or bump it hard to get it restarted. The same thing happened to my Red Sea Berlin X2 Skimmer Pump except the shaft compnents came apart because of the vibration it was under. I managed to Gorilla Glue it back together and is working fine for now but isn't a permanent fix. The final straw was when my little Penguin Powerhead did the same as the other two pumps...:mad:

I found a little trick that if I put some foam filter on the inlet to restrict the flow it works just fine. If I remove it, then it goes nuts and sounds like someone is rattling a marble around inside the pump. I know that my foam technique is only temporary, my question are:

Does power outages cause Mag Drive pumps to do this?

have you tried placing a foam pad underneath the pump (s) ??

I would think a power outage would affect or cause fibration of a pump.

when is the last time you've taken it apart to clean it...I noticed an "off" noise on one of my iwaki pump for my closed loop....when I took it apart, I noticed a small snail lodge between the intake where water comes from the tank into the pump...once I clean the inside, the noise was gone..

maybe you have a similar siutation?? (just brainstorming here).

Back