Q about SWC MSX250

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

I have two MSX250's and so I am running four of the sicce psk2500 pumps and I have a couple questions related to air intake.

The hard plastic insert that the air line attaches to has a flat end, and the other end is cut at an angle. When the skimmers arrived the pumps were completely pre-assembled. The flat end was pressed into the pumps intake with the angled end into the tubing. (I already replaced the tubing with something more rigid) Anyway, the sound of the air being drawn was so queit that I never used the mufflers and I have found that the skimming has been decent.

I decided I would clean the skimmers and inspect the mesh mods. I found that the mesh was fine so I left it. I did however flip the hard tube so that the angled end of the plastic insert was plugged into the pump and also so that the angled end was facing away from the pumps body. What I found was that the air lines now make an obnoxiously loud sound of air draw. With out any kind of guage should I assume that they are indeed pulling more air?

Dual20SiliencerL.jpg

Also, does the muffler reduce the air intake? On the 250's there is two lines that connect but only one vent to atmosphere which seems like it would reduce the reverse atmospheric pressure, maybe?

And finally, does anyone this these collection cups that add a 4" neck are worth the money? I mean I am happy with the skimmers, but would can always be made happier!

Collection20Cup20ComparisonL.jpg

You want the flat end flush with the volute on your air injector. The slit end needs to be connected to the tubing. Noise doesn't mean a thing when it comes to air pull. I can make 10scfh sound like a plane and 75scfh nearly quiet. The larger collection cup is pretty nice as it gives you a better foam head, less turbulence and its easier to adjust from wet to dry skimmate. The silencer on teh 250 and 300 do restrict the air pull a bit so if you decide to not use the silencer just make sure the air tubing is above the water level in the skimmer. HTH

Back