Q for d.i.y. lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

immedicatdru2

I have a standard 55 gal. tank with a diy canopy. I have currently room for 6 48" lights. I have 2 power-glo, 2 03-Actinic and one aqua-glo. I've looked and looked and I'm still not sure what my growing limits would be if I went with only 4 48" (40 w) lights [2 03's and 2 power's]. I currently have a couple of soft corals, some zoanthids, some zenias and fish. Does anyone think that I would get better reflectivity with only 4 lights instead of 6? I really can't afford the VHO or Halide that everyone is screaming about. Is my solution feasible or should I give up what I have to someone with better lighting? thanks,
Steven J.

Quite a few corals are out there growing and thriving under just plain old N.O. flor lights. I would keep 6 bulbs if at all possible. If your stuff is growing and doing what it is supposed to keep at it. I mean dont try a clam anemone or any light loving species but zoos, zenia, some softies, most rics and shrooms and some lps will do just fine. I think mushrooms and zenia seem to do better in sorta high nutrient low light tanks anyway. Just my opinion. And just for the heck of it.
GET METAL HALIDE!!!!!!!!!!! GET METAL HALIDE!!!!!!!!!!!
that was me screaming. LOL Hope it made you at least chuckle.
Steven J. Wright.

Back