QT procedure for multiple fish.....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

whowadat

Hello, given the propensity for used tanks being sold in this poor economy, along with the "mature" livestock, what is the best procedure for quarantining multiple fish ??

My experience may be of help to someone going through a similar situation. I had a dilemma wherein I had to decide whether it was better to put 5 fish into a 40 gallon QT tank or put them right into a 120 gallon display tank that had been sitting fallow for 4 weeks. Included in that decision was whether it was better to place single fish back into DT after quarantine, or everyone at once. I decided to put them right into display tank as smaller QT might have caused more stress given the lack of space and hiding places.

Assuming the fish could not/were not purchased as individuals, a topic probably better served in another thread if not already addressed, what is the best procedure for QT, and what are the time frames for addition into DT when multiple fish are involved ??

Thank you for your time.

In hinesight i wouldve put them in mutiple makeshift quarentine tanks. Even a 30 gallon rubbermaid container for 5.99 at target with a powerhead and a heater wouldve sufficed for a few months with water changes. The containers can actually be more peacful than a normal glass tank for a sick or transported fish as they dont have to deal with seeing people in front of the tank often. They are also easily stored together after the QT period tucked away in a closet etc. As for duration it really depends on the fish and the outcome.

Last edited:
For proper quarantine time and process, you want to adhere to this post: A Quarantine Procedure.

In general, when all the fish are infected with the same illness, quarantine them together for treatment. If the fish are diverse, coming from the wild through wholesalers and retailers, they should be quarantined separately.

The 'complaint' that the fish will be stressed in quarantine is over-ridden by their condition, be it known or unknown. The effort to make the fish as comfortable as possible in the QT and going through the process, WITH hiding places and landscaping that won't interfere with treatment, is up to the owner and how much effort they want to put into it. That is to say, a properly quarantined fish is actually under less stress -- not having to contend with tank mates, no competition for food, etc.

Back