Quarantine and Hospital Tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lionhead

I have a question regarding how to set up Quarantine tanks and Hospital tanks. First, does it have to bu running or set up on the side even without new fish on hand? OR Second, while there is no fish, do you have the filter running in the main tank so it gets its share of beneficial bacterias?

I know the hospital tank is there for curing the fish.. So maybe you dont need a filter filled with bacteria.. It might be necessary for you to put fish medicine in it so Im thinking after the fish is cured or dies, you clean the tank and the filters... NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE.. JUST A THOUGHT..

For QT, isnt it a little different? You observe the fish.. Make sure it is feeding, doesnt develop diseases like ich.. etc.. When all is well, you can put the fish in the main tank..

I dont know.. Just a little bit confused.. Do you have to seed the filter with bacteria for any of these tanks? Are the two different or just the same?

Hospital tank and QT tank are two different things. A hospital tank is a place you put something that needs treatment, a QT tank is a place you should put every new purchases you get before you add it to your display.

They are both every easy to set up but what you can do with them after you are done with them depends on what you needed to do with them.

If you were using the setup as a QT and everything went fine, when you are done with it you could leave it running or place the biofilter into the display for further use. If your QT turned into a treatment tank (hospital tank) and you had to add medications of some kind then the biofilter should be discarded and the tank and everything associated with it sterilized.

Look at the "Quick easy clam QT" link in my sig

So the hospital tank really needs to be empty. Just the heater, filter?, airstones?

QT can have rocks in addition to the heater, filter and powerhead?

Just trying to figure out how to set this up. Im trying to downsize the number of tank thats up and running fulltime..

So the hospital tank really needs to be empty. Just the heater, filter?, airstones?

QT can have rocks in addition to the heater, filter and powerhead?

Just trying to figure out how to set this up. Im trying to downsize the number of tank thats up and running fulltime..

We need to make a distinction between the terms.

A hospital tank is where you actually do some type of treatment to what ever you have.

A QT tank is where you hold something and observe it to make sure it is not infected with something.

If you are wanting to set up a tank for new animals you get and to hold them for a period of time and observe them to make sure they are healthy before you add them to your display then you want to set up a QT tank.

A QT should be set up to meet the animals needs including biofilter, flow, light or anything else thats needed. The purpose of a QT is to keep the animal happy and for you to watch the animal for sickness. Nothing more.

A hospital tank is a treatment tank.

Most of us use the same tank for both QT and hospital so we keep things simple. Since there is the possibility of adding medications or of fish having parasites or disease its best to keep everything in the tank either disposable or cleanable with bleach or disinfectants. I use several pieces of PVC pipe or fittings for fish to hide in and which can be cleaned or tossed since they are cheap. The bottom is bare and no live rock since both can harbor both diseases and pests and are impossible to disinfect.
I use an AquaClear hang on filter or internal air lift sponge filter so always keep a new sponge or two in my display tanks sump at all times so it is charged with bacteria and ready to use at a moments notice. I also use a simple heater like a VisiTherm or Ebo which again can be cleaned easily.
The tank is stored broken down and dry but can be set up in just a few minutes if I find an inhabitant I must have!

Back