Quarantine New Arrivals?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

onehawksfan

Got Reef-er?
I am starting a new small reef tank and I am debating whether or not it's worth it to setup a quarantine tank (QT). I've already read about the pros and cons and I know it's always a good idea. I just don't want to wait another 4 weeks before I add anything into the tank (quarantine time). What I would like to know is how many people actually do this in the real world. Do you use one? What size? For fish and corals/polyps/mushrooms/inverts? Does everyone do a freshwater dip and what exactly is involved with that? Would I be making a mistake if I don't use one (QT)? I am leaning towards not using one. Seems like a lot of work - then again, so does dealing with ich. For my initial stocking, I plan on ordering a nano polyp pack, a nano mushroom pack, and some snails and a crab from LiveAquaria. Do I need to quarantine these? or dip? thanks for the input!

Always QT. I do do it.

If you need a small 10 G for QT, let me know. I have one here that is just for QT (medicating, etc). You are welcome to it, and it will save animals.

Best
Ilham

The attitude of not wanting to wait 4 weeks is a sure bet something is going to go wrong. Patience, my friend!

Trust me, you do not want to deal with ich in a reef tank. You WILL eventually get it if you don't QT, I promise.

Here's a good article on quarantine tanks.

disease is VERY EXPENSIVE (personal experience)to treat in a reef tank and not nearly as effective- get a qt. it will save you money, fishes lives and your grief!

Pay special attention to the conclusion, specifically this point....

Steven Pro said:
Quarantine everything! Fish, corals, clams, anemones, live rock, live sand, mobile invertebrates, and everything else that is wet. When in doubt, quarantine!

Cheers
Steve

Do It

One episode of the dreaded red bugs and you will realize the importance of QT. I use a 10 gallon tank and treat all my sps as if they were infested with red bugs and flat worms no matter how healthy they look. Please, dont learn the hard way like I did.:) Sorry I dont have any advice on fish but I am sure you will get very good advice from other members.

Okay, thanks for the info - looks like I'm going to be setting up a ten gallon quarantine tank! How many polyps can I quarantine at once? I wanted to buy a "pack" of around 5 different species (1-2 in). Do I need more than one quarantine tank? Thanks Slickdonkey for the great article! From what I gathered from the article, with polyps, I'm basically just looking for parasites, right? bugs?

Polyps won't tax the bioload of a QT so basically it's a matter of the size of the rock/plug unless a newly harvested rock and then there may be die off. If you're buying the polyp frags online, you won't know until you get it. I would proactively e-mail the seller and ask the approximate size of each and their condition. Then you'll have a better idea of what will work.

Once the QT is set up properly, then aquire the corals. You will need to be on the look out for nudibranchs, flat worms, snails, fungal infections, possibly sponge die off, aiptasia, hydroids and so on. Basically anything you don't want being transfered to the display. Parasites are usually best noticed once the tank is in the dark, they become more active.

Cheers
Steve

Back