Quarantine tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

maysorum

Can you provide some ideas about a quarantine tank? How big should it be and what equipment is needed? Thanks!!

depends what your gonna QT?
just fish = power head simple filter and salt water! No sand needed!
FINN has a big sponge that sits in his sump that hooks to a sponge filter
he throws that in there for the bacteria and throw in your fish!!

I'm gonna have a full blown 29 gallon "ZOO/MUSHROOM" tank on seperate sump from 125 tank and frag tank! Thats gonna be my QT tank for the 125

Myteemouse: I'm going to quarantine both fish (gobies) and coral (sps, lps, and softies). So will I need to complete reef set-up then?

Even for SPS corals, you can get by with lower lighting, as long as you have the ability to raise the corals up closer to the lights. You also won't need any live rock. An HOB overflow filter for carbon, a couple powerheads and PC lighting will work for short term QT of corals. A few PVC fittings for fish to hide in and a rack to raise corals up closer to the lights.

If you want to do a "true" QT youll need one QT for corals, and one for fish. Like Sid said you really dont need much for a coral QT. The main thing is you want to leave it set up at all times so that it can become stable. You may have to do small water changes from time to time to maintain calc/alk levels. Id just use tank water to fill the QT to aid in the acclimation proccess. Just do a WC on your display, and use the water you take out of your dispaly to fill the QT.

For the fish QT, check out Lee's thread: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27022
As you can see a true fish QT will kill most reef creatures.

Peace

Back