quarantine tanks? pros and cons?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Would like some thoughts about quarantine tanks: Set Up- what kind of substrate, lighting, filter, should there be anything kept (fish/inverts) in there? Water quality- what specs should it be kept at? How long should you keep fish in there? Should you quarantine inverts?

Any info about whats worked for you and what hasn't worked would help. Thanks!!

Pro: Your not adding disease to display tank.
Con: You have to exercise patience

No substrate, use lighting thats in your budget(fish do not need much, corals need more), air powered filter or hang on filter, do not keep anything in there that your not trying to quarantine, water quality close to that of your display, give fish a month or two. Also, PVC pipes work well to give your fish a place to hide.

Do a search on "leebca". He has written some great articles on quarantine procedures here on RF.

Pro it saves your display tank for Ich and other bad things. Con its another tank taking up space and drawing power.

Pro You can also feed things there without overpolluting your tank. ( I am currently nursing back to health sucessfully a couple of bleached clams I won in a raffle)

The biggest expense is lighting.

I used a light meter and 130 watts of p.c. light ( 10 gallon tank). I found it was not very intense but right under it directly about 4 " so I have an eggcrate stand to hoist things up right next to it!

:)

Paul

Last edited:
You quarantine for several reasons: 1) to control the introduction of disease into your tank, 2) to observe the new inhabitant (what seemed to be a docile fish in the LFS could now turn out to be a tiger shark in docile clothing) might spark a return to the LFS, 3) if you observe disease while specimen is in your tank you can remove it and treat it.

Our LFS did a lecture on quarantine procedures and it doesn't take elaborate equipment unless you have a really large tank. No substrate, simple hiding/cover items like pvc, heater and simple filtration and you can get away with CF lighting - they didn't seem to think lighting for this period was as important for fish....corals are another story.

Cons for quarantine:More tank acclimation = more chance to STN

I recently moved my tank twice in a month. A third of my corals STnNed. None of them had ever STN'ed previously in my care before.
Theory: More acclimations = higher chance to adverse reeaction to acclimation leading to STN.
For fish I highly recomend qurantine. For corals, Id recomend one of the dips over QT, unless you have a pristine QT that matches your display tank conditions perfectly.

Adam's Shrimplet,

Too bad you are not able to attend tomorrow's PSAS meeting with Lee Birch. He is the pioneer on this subject. Can't wait to hear his gospel. :D

Kirk

Back