Question about adding sand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acclnz

So I have a 125 gallon tank that was born from a 55 gallon that was about to split. The rock was all moved over to the new with more added. The fish made the move with no problems. Little after I added 2 more fish that only lasted 2 months (the original 5 are fine).
(Present day) The two that did not make it ended up have a white film as if they had a sun burn on them. My LPS (where I got the new rock and fish) said I picked up a parasite and that’s why they died... wonder where I got that from...and how do I make sure that its gone???
I since removed the 5 to a clean tank and added copper treatment to kill the parasite they got from the others and the main tank is just sitting. I still have all the filters and pumps going as if occupied. With the fact that I have to let whatever it is die off before putting the fish back in I figured this is a good time to add more rock and flip from gravel bottom to sand. With the placement of the circulation pumps that are silicone to the wall and can’t be moved, they kicked up a lot of the sand in certain spots I had to keep some of the rocks to keep the sand down.
All this being said the end question is how deep is too deep and how shallow is to shallow?? Does it make a difference if I keep some of the old rock in the areas that the fans are pushing the sand around? With the new sand the water finally cleared up but I still get the little ‘smoke’ whenever I touch it… It was live sand so I did not wash it first, would kind of defeat the purpose… At this point I have to let the tank cycle again so time is not the problem but every time I try to set or move the rocks a get a mess that takes another day to settle down. How long if ever will this finally stop.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Leo

When I had sand in my tank (90 gallon) I had a layer that was about 1 - 1 1/2 inches deep. What i used to clean my sand was basically a gravel cleaner, the siphon hose with the big round thing on the end you just plunge into the sand. That worked pretty well but i eventually got tired of cleaning my sand and having it blow around because of power heads.

I removed all of my sand about a year ago and haven't looked back since, can point power heads anywhere I want, and have also eliminated one step from doing water changes (cleaning the sand). I just re-aquascaped the tank to have more rock covering the bottom so there wasn't so much glass showing. Now its all grown over and you don't even notice it.

I cant remember exactly where i read it, was a couple years ago, but the sand bed should be up to 2" in the display. If you want it deeper, than go 4"and and up. At 4", its considered a deep sand bed. Pros and cons to dsb. I have around 2" in my display and 4" or 5" in my fuge. When you have a sandbed of say 3", but less than 4", its just deep enough to create a oxygen free area and holding in gasses such as H2S, which could be released into your water if you have fish or snails that burrow in the sand. As for the cloudiness from the sand, all i ever did, without livestock in it, was just reach in and stir it. Have a filter sock to catch it. Blow the rocks off with a turkey baster after it settles, and stir it again. Dont do it aggressively, otherwise it will create more "dust". Kinda like carbon. Do it gently. Eventually it will get better. As for the sand that says "live sand" on the bag, all i can say is how. Unless you go out and get it, or someone does it for you and gives it to you gairly quickly, it should be called "dead live sand". I dont think all the little critters and bacteria living in livesand would be alive after being bagged up, sitting in a store on a shelf for god knows how long, in temperatures below what they were taken from, could still be alive. I have always rinsed my "livesand" when i bought it. I just dont hassle with the price anymore and just buy dry sand. Still gotta rinse it, but im not paying for something thats not actually there. Just my 2¢, sure someone has some other input here somewhere...thats what makes this site so great. Discussions and expieriances.

No problem. I forgot to mention, i know you said your tank is cycling, but everybody should rinse any sand they are putting in there tank that has livestock in it before it hits your water. Heres a link about deep sand beds. Hope it helps.

DeepSandBeds

I know I will nedd to let this cycle for as long as it will take but what about the water paramiters in the mean time. I keep testing to check them and found the PH and ALK has dropped very low. I added some buffer for each, or should I not. Will or should this fix its self in time?? Thanks

Back