Question about dosing Cal/Mag in from an ATO reservoir.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slate

On my tank I use a 5 gallon jug for ATO purposes. I am wondering if it is possible to dose Cal and Mag(Kent Turbo Calcium/Kent Tech-m) from the same ATO reservoir, then do alk separate using baking soda as needed.

I have been trying to research to understand whether or not this is possible and am getting mixed information that is a little confusing. I am reading (mostly on other forums) that the two shouldn't be mixed in the same container. At the same time I am reading that mag increases solubility of calcium, which makes me think if I had them in the same jug it would actually reduce the chance of calcium precipitating out. So basically I am royally confused :twitch:, and def don't have the current funds to set up a calc reactor.

So, can I dose both Calcium and Magnesium using my 5gallon ATO reservoir to slowly drip in the amounts I need? Or do I need to come up with another way to drip them into the system?

On my tank I use a 5 gallon jug for ATO purposes. I am wondering if it is possible to dose Cal and Mag(Kent Turbo Calcium/Kent Tech-m) from the same ATO reservoir, then do alk separate using baking soda as needed.

I have been trying to research to understand whether or not this is possible and am getting mixed information that is a little confusing. I am reading (mostly on other forums) that the two shouldn't be mixed in the same container. At the same time I am reading that mag increases solubility of calcium, which makes me think if I had them in the same jug it would actually reduce the chance of calcium precipitating out. So basically I am royally confused :twitch:, and def don't have the current funds to set up a calc reactor.

So, can I dose both Calcium and Magnesium using my 5gallon ATO reservoir to slowly drip in the amounts I need? Or do I need to come up with another way to drip them into the system?

Use kalk in your ato and manually make up the difference if it doesnt keep up with ca and alk. Mg needs to be manual but the depletion is so slow its not that big of deal.

Don

Thanks Don, I will probably use up my Turbo Calc first then switch to kalkwasser to make the alk easier. Still curious to know why Mag needs to be separate though if anyone knows the answer.

Kalk will do both ca and alk balanced. Mg precips in the container when mixed with ca.

Don

Kalk will do both ca and alk balanced. Mg precips in the container when mixed with ca.

Don

Ahhh, ok see now I understand. So there is something in our salt mixes that keeps it from precipitating out in the display but not in the ro/di water.

I understand how the Kalkwasser works (well enough for use I mean). I had just purchased the turbo calc way back when i didn't know what I was doing so I wanna get it used up.

Back