Question about fragging leathers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IPisces

I have got to do something about this toadstool. In the past 4-5 months it has just gotten WAY TOO BIG.
I am really nervous about cutting it. Can I get some insight as to the best way of going about it. I am assuming it would be best to take it out of the tank to do it. I need to find the correct tools too. If you can suggest the best tool and where to get it. I dont know if a good pair of sissors or just a good razor blade would work. I dont want to shred it.

A year ago march it was only 5-6" in diameter. Today, it is over 14" in diameter.

It went from this...
DSC04875.jpg

To this in one year...
DSC06460.jpg

I like to use the single-edge razor blades. I bought a box of 100 for a few bucks at a hardware store, which will last for years. That way you always have a clean sharp edge when you need it.

Leathers slime up a bit when you cut them, so it is best to remove the leather from the tank if you can and leave the pieces in a bowl or small bucket of tank water for a while after you make the cuts. Then rinse off with more tank water before putting them back into the tank.

Nice looking coral!

I would also agree with that and if you can put them into a higher flow area just to keep any build up off of the new cuts that would help out as well. Something that big you will end up with a forest of toadstools.

slice it, rinse it, put it in your tank. Very easy to do. In a week or so it should attach itself to something, or you could always glue them.

Thanks everyone.
Guess it sounds easy enough. I have a box of new blades. There is another of the same toadstool right next to this big one that is only about 4" in diameter. I think I will remove it too. There is just not enough room in there for them both. Especially when they get that big so fast. Or maybe I will let the little one get a bigger and then just cut this big one out completely.
Yeah, I will end up with a lot of them although I'm not planning on cutting a lot off at one time. And I will leave them in larger pieces. I cant remove too much, my male clown would get pretty upset as it is his home.

It's not hard, it's probably harder to mess it up. I had the same problem not too long ago. You can pretty much take it out, cut it up, band it to rumble or such and a about a week or so you have frags. I was so worried when I had to do it but it was pretty easy.

I have only done it once, was not expecting to do it and was unprepaired. Check out you tube videos. It was recomended to do it out of the tank and soak the frags in a sepperate container after. Something about the nutrients that leak out of the cuts.

If you want to send out some frags, let me know, I lost mine during my last escapde, upgradeing! It was my fault.

Good luck with the fragging, and don't stress. I did and it was uncalled for, it's not that hard.

It's not hard, it's probably harder to mess it up. I had the same problem not too long ago. You can pretty much take it out, cut it up, band it to rumble or such and a about a week or so you have frags. I was so worried when I had to do it but it was pretty easy.

I have only done it once, was not expecting to do it and was unprepaired. Check out you tube videos. It was recomended to do it out of the tank and soak the frags in a sepperate container after. Something about the nutrients that leak out of the cuts.

If you want to send out some frags, let me know, I lost mine during my last escapde, upgradeing! It was my fault.

Good luck with the fragging, and don't stress. I did and it was uncalled for, it's not that hard.

Thanks for the pep talk....And we can work something out for a piece if you want one. I am going to get set up to ship. I have a ton of zoas/palys that I will be fragging up more of and will need to be able to ship. I am so far out that no one wants to make the drive. I dont blame them. Its a beautiful drive, but the cost of gas and ferry tickets is ridiculous.

Thanks for the pep talk....And we can work something out for a piece if you want one. I am going to get set up to ship. I have a ton of zoas/palys that I will be fragging up more of and will need to be able to ship. I am so far out that no one wants to make the drive. I dont blame them. Its a beautiful drive, but the cost of gas and ferry tickets is ridiculous.

Definatly, let me know. I will take some zoos and palys too. I would drive but it would take me a couple days, LOL, since I'm in NY.

Well, yea! I cut a couple good size pieces off and the main piece is all polyped out and doing fine. I have 7 nice size pieces fragged from it. All seem to be doing well. That wasnt so bad after all.

Lets hope some of my other soft coral are as easy when I get around to fragging them.

Back