Question about my clowns breeding?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lion-clown

About 4 days ago I noticed my clowns where acting weird and thought they where breeding but after some research I believe they where cleaning off the rock for a place to breed. But they keep cleaning the one rock over and over. Is there something wrong? From what I have read they only do that for maybe 2 days before breeding. Also where they release the eggs from, it has a little thing sticking out on both of them, which I thought happened right before they breed. I feel like something is wrong. Please help.

Thanks Tony

No thoughts at all? In case they do lay eggs is there any local place to get live rotifers or ones to hatch?

Mine clean the rock on the day they are going to lay. The female drops a tube down from the lower backside of her body and then she starts laying eggs. Sounds like yours are definitely thinking about laying eggs.

I have a pair that has just started mating they also started cleaning rocks early I think they are going through the motions.They have laid a couple of times ,It usilly takes to or three times to have viable eggs,I have rotifers if u need them, kind of expencive online.I have a pair of maroon that lay every 2 weeks. It has taken me a year to learn all it takes to be sucessful.I have about 15 juveniles of various ages .If i were u I would get a book By Joyce D Wilkerson go on ebay book is expencive buy used

Thanks for the info both of you.

Marrkart it does seem like they are practicing over and over again. Thank you for the offer on rotifers, I will let you know if they ever spawn. I really want to try and breed them. I will try and get that book when I get a chance.

Ok new question. I've been reading up and a lot of people use clay pots, because they like a smooth surface. But the area that my clown fish keep cleaning is really ruff. So i was wondering if I should put a clay pot in and give it a try or just be patient? If I should add a clay pot should I put it close to where they are allready cleaning or off to the side? Just a little more info on the tank it's a 28 gallon jbj tank with the only fish being the clowns and snails.

I've hatched and raised a couple thousand clownfish by using the backside of a tile from Lowe's/HD. The clowns are attracted to the porous texture of the backside of the tile and lay on it every time it is in their tank. Using a chunk of tile makes it very easy to snatch the eggs from the parents.

Is there any specific type of tile you have to use? How big of piece would I need to use? Would a six by six work? Where do you place it, off to the side or close to where they are cleaning? Thanks for all the info.

IF u only have tile in your tank then you will be successful.If you have rock Good luck getting them to use your tile.The last tank i set up I made a cove That had good flo and no direct lite and that were they lay eggs.

Is there any specific type of tile you have to use? How big of piece would I need to use? Would a six by six work? Where do you place it, off to the side or close to where they are cleaning? Thanks for all the info.

My clowns always lay on the rock until I put the tile in. Once the tile is in their space that's all they lay on. My tile is a chunk I broke off that is about 2"X4". I place the tile in their territory by the anemone. I like to place it so that when the anemone is completely sprawled out it's tentacles cover about 3/4's of the tile. The clowns manipulate the anemone as necessary to get to the tile in order to lay or tend to the eggs. My tile is porcelain and the backside is mostly smooth and porous.

laid today

laid eggs today

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    64 KB
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    58.4 KB
I added a piece of tile to the tank at first they really seamed to hate it. They stirred up a lot of sand and still do some times but we will see how it does.

Wow that is awsome Marrkart. Do you feed any different when they are breeding? I keep reading about a breeding brew for food, not sure what they mean?

2011-10-30_19-30-04_449.jpg

2011-10-30_19-32-07_835.jpg

american marine selcon put some on flakes, They say they dont like changes .Are u planning on taking eggs out before they hatch

I leave them in the tank.Then suck the fry out with small airline.Got the selcon online .Have you been reading any breeding clownfish materal.There is lots to learn to be successful.

Back